Career Services Workshops This Spring

Career workshops with the Learning and Professional Pathways initiative at GCC are field specific, emphasizing real world skills needed in pursuing careers. The Career Center is a resource helping GCC students network into their preferred industry, said career counselor Nancy Medina. Alongside their workshops are events held to offer tailored support by providing mock interviews and personal resume critiques. 

Several new major specific LPP workshops have been added for each individual pathway, including the upcoming events for language and communication, as well as visual performing arts, STEM, people power perspectives, and health and wellness. Academic departments are working with the Career Center to get more vital and relevant information into these workshops and to the students. Additional insight into the competitive work environment can also be found through professional panels and conferences offered to help support students understand more within their field. Based on a student’s major, they are preselected to join a canvas shell which notifies students of upcoming events designated to their specific professional pathway.

The most beneficial workshops offered, according to Medina, are the resume, interview, and LinkedIn services. She highlights the LinkedIn workshops as they provide an in-depth review of how to navigate the service as well as building a profile. Medina also pointed out that hiring recruiters often reach out to profiles unprompted, making LinkedIn a great resource for students just starting out. The next LinkedIn workshop is being held on May 3rd.

Medina explained that Spring is internship application season. As applications open during the month of February until early May, she advises students to take part in workshops through any of the three formats offered, either in-person, via Zoom, or pre-recorded videos. After attending workshops students are encouraged to meet one-on-one with career counselors to help further develop their resumes, profiles, and future steps toward their career. 

Gwenyth Pilon can be reached at [email protected].