Employment Opportunities at GCC’s Job Fair and Beyond

Annual community career fair takes place in April

GCC is holding its annual job fair, which is open to the entire community, at Plaza Vaquero on Thursday, April 4, from 10 am to 2 pm. Current students, alumni, friends, and family are all welcome and encouraged to attend. This year, over 80 employers will be present. 

The fair is partnered with many local organizations, including CalWorks, 97.9 Raza, Lumary Therapy, Mega 96.6 FM, and D.Law. Sharis Davoodi, the event’s organizer, noted that many employers report back with how pleased they are by their hires from GCC and choose to return to the fair year after year. “It’s great to have access to employers from many different fields,” said Anna Stepanyan, a student who has attended the fair previously. “Being able to speak directly to employers and connect to them on a personal level gives you an advantage in the hiring process.”

In addition to employment opportunities, many employers also offer internships, an alternative for students who would like to gain work experience but are not looking for a long-term job. Davoodi stressed the importance of attending the fair even for students who are not yet applying to jobs, since “student candidates are interviewing the employers as much as the employers are interviewing our students.” This allows students to better understand what employers are looking for, and how to present themselves in the future.

Davoodi has organized the fair for over nine years, and she noted that preparation for the event requires ongoing networking and connecting with employers. In the wake of the pandemic, her contacts changed after many community businesses closed, and she has made an ongoing effort to build bonds and connect to both local and national businesses. The college as a whole also works to maintain its high standard of education to ensure that employers can hire qualified candidates and that students are prepared for any unexpected challenges they may face upon entering the workforce after graduation, Davoodi explained.

The Career Center offers many Zoom workshops throughout the year, and they are hosting two workshops to advise students on how to prepare for the fair. They will be held on Monday, March 25 from 1:15 pm to 2:15 pm and Tuesday, April 2 from 12:15 pm to 1:15 pm, and will offer general advice, as well as answers to any specific questions. GCC also has an online job board, which is year-round and offers both internship and employment opportunities. The job board, like the fair, is open to all community members at no cost. 

To best prepare for the fair, it is recommended to dress professionally and bring copies of your resume. Davoodi stressed that she would be happy to give individual feedback about outfits, resumes, or anything else, and can be reached at sdavoodi@glendale.edu. “I personally encourage everyone to attend, even if not looking for employment, so you can see the qualifications needed to land an internship or job in the future,” she said. “Dress to impress, and don’t forget your smile!”