GCC Nursing Department Achieves National Accreditation

GCC’s Nursing Department recently attained national accreditation, marking a significant achievement amidst the challenges posed by the pandemic. Emelyn Judge, the Associate Dean of Health Sciences and Division Chair, shared insights into the impact of this accomplishment and the department’s vision for the future.

“It was a tremendous achievement that brought the faculty and staff closer together,” Judge remarked, emphasizing the unity forged through the rigorous accreditation process despite pandemic limitations.

Judge reflected on the accreditation process, citing its difficulties, expenses, and rigor. The joint Board of Registered Nursing (BRN)/Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) visit highlighted the program’s strengths. The department’s transformational leadership, faculty longevity, robust curriculum, high job placement, and stellar NCLEX-RN pass rates were commended by evaluators.

This accreditation process heightened awareness among staff and students, encouraging deeper exploration of the program’s mission, values, and outcomes for nursing graduates entering the evolving workforce. Additionally, the ACEN accreditation enables graduates to seek employment in governmental agencies that require graduates from nationally accredited programs.

Looking ahead, the department’s plans involve implementing an enhanced curriculum while fostering collaborative partnerships with programs offering baccalaureate nursing degrees. Judge emphasized that this accreditation serves as a pivotal milestone in pursuing continuous quality improvement and excellence in nursing education.

“The achievement of national accreditation amid challenges underlines our commitment to maintaining this standard moving forward,” Judge added, highlighting the focus on elevating nursing education and the continuous pursuit of excellence.

GCC’s Nursing Department’s national accreditation stands as a testament to its dedication to delivering top-tier education and preparing graduates for the dynamic healthcare landscape!

For more information about GCC’s nursing department, go to: https://www.glendale.edu/academics/academic-divisions/health-sciences-division/nursing

Ethan Oliver Consignado can be reached at econsig597@student.glendale.edu.