Pulitzer Center Program Deadline Approaching

The GCC Pulitzer Center will be accepting applications for their fellowship up until Dec. 11, and is encouraging the campus community to reach out with any questions they may have. The Journalism and History departments at the college joined forces in 2021 to train students on how to report on under-reported gender-related issues. Launched by Professor Michelle Stonis from History and Dr. Reut Cohen Schorr from Journalism, the Center works to train students and offer different learning events throughout the academic year. 

Dr. Cohen explained that students can get involved in the future by attending an upcoming Spring Seminar and then apply to become a fellow. Students are encouraged to attend many events each semester and ask questions. For students to prepare for the program, they are encouraged to take Journalism 103 with Dr. Reut Cohen Schorr and History 111 with Professor Michelle Stonis. 

Students are asked to submit a formal pitch by Dec. 11 by emailing it directly to [email protected]. For instructions on how to submit a formal pitch, students should attend Info Sessions or Seminars each academic semester. 

When a student gets chosen to be next year’s reporting fellow, they will have certain criteria to meet, including reporting on their chosen issue and receiving direct support from the Pulitzer Center in D.C. Students who are selected have the opportunity to travel to other countries to do their reporting,” said Dr. Cohen. “They are funded with a grant from our Center. The student fellow also gets to travel to Washington, D.C., on an all-expense paid trip. It’s a one-of-a-kind opportunity.” 

The 2023 GCC Pulitzer Fellow is Brittany Klintworth. Her reporting research focused on the intersection of fast fashion and feminism. “My project led me to Italy, where I visited an ethical fashion brand,” said Klintworth. “I got to tour the production site and store and conduct interviews. It was an incredible learning experience – what better way to learn than by doing?”

For more information, visit: 

https://www.glendale.edu/academics/academic-divisions/social-sciences-division/history/pulitzer-center-campus-consortium

Kylo Tenuta can be reached at [email protected].