Veteran Services Offered at Glendale Community College

On the heels of Veterans Day, El Vaquero explored resources offered by the college for  student veterans. GCC’s Veterans Resource Center is a place for veterans to get assistance after re-entering civilian life, providing benefits each semester for tutoring, grants, and furthering educational goals.

The center’s staff (located in the Tongva Building Annex) provides assistance to veterans and eligible dependents in qualifying for educational benefits and planning education programs. The college is approved by the VA as a degree-granting institution for veterans and dependents entitled to educational assistance, according to the college website. To complete an application for admission, students can go here. Veterans who wish to use one of the VA Education Benefits, need to complete all necessary forms before seeing a veterans certifying official. An intent-to-register form must be submitted to the Veterans Certifying Officials for each semester that a student wishes to receive the VA Education Benefits. Each semester, it is the veteran’s responsibility to notify the GCC Veterans Certifying Official that he/she will continue with his/her educational benefits.  It is not an automatic process. Also important to note is that any student who withdraws/or receives an “F” from a class needs to notify the department. Veterans who are taking a course that lasts less than a semester will be paid only for the actual enrollment period.

“Glendale Community College’s military Veterans Resource Center provides services, tutoring, benefits help and community for all veterans on the Glendale Community college campus,” said Charles Schumate, the GCC VRC Coordinator, in an interview.  “Our veteran help center staff provides assistance to veterans and eligible dependents in qualifying for educational benefits and in planning educational programs.”

“The State Department of Education is under contract with VA to offer higher education of veterans and eligible dependents under U.S. Code Title 38, Chapters 30,31,32,35, and 1606,” said Schumate. “A V.A. beneficiaries can receive monthly compensation under the G.I. Bill or the Post Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program based on their attendance and number of units in which they are enrolled.”

Veterans enrolling for the first time might not know how many scholarship and grant programs are available, unless they inquire. Most scholarships just require a DD214. One popular funding option for Marine vets is the Marines Memorial Association scholarships. This list of available scholarships specifically for military veterans covers many but not all scholarships available.

Schumate was also asked to provide a hard number regarding how many student veterans that the Veteran Center has helped this past year. “We have served 117 veteran students using VA education benefits from  Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. The total number of veteran students and veteran dependents served is 144.”

Veterans registering for classes should make an appointment with veteran counselors. They must take the required Assessments in English, and/ or math. To make an appointment call, (818) 240-1000 ext. 3360. Prior to making an appointment, students must have documents available for review, including  assessment scores from Assessment Center, official sealed academic transcripts, certification of release or discharge (DD-214) and certification eligibility letter from the VA. To register for classes, students can register online based on their registration date and time. 

Alina Martin can be reached at [email protected].