GCC Cancels Friday Night Classes Due to Brush Fire

A brush fire between the 134 and 2 freeways closed a section of the 2 freeway in both directions Friday.

GCC school officials cancelled classes Friday due to a brush fire between the 2 and 134 freeways.

The 75-acre fire that started around 2 p.m. threatened buildings, closed streets and closed a section of the 2 freeway.

Photos by Kathy Bakowicz and Ksenia Rabinovich

Glendale firefighters found a fire on the west side of the 2 freeway, but winds carried embers across the freeway and into the Glenoaks and Chevy Chase Canyon, according to the Glendale Police Department.

The Glendale PD evacuated residents and Glenoaks Elementary School.

An evacuation center was set up at the Glendale Adult Recreation Center and the Pasadena Humane Society offered free boarding for pets of evacuees.

The 2 freeway was opened after 6 p.m. Roads started to reopen and residents were allowed to return to their homes at 9 p.m.

No structures were damaged, but two firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion.

The Glendale Fire Department will monitor the scene throughout the night in case of hot spots.

Chantal Bevard
Chantal Bevard, Staff Reporter
This is Chantal's second semester on staff and is honored to be the managing editor of El Vaquero. She will be transferring to San Francisco State University in the fall and will continue with her journalism career by majoring in Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts.