Academic Decathlon Locks Vaqueros in Deadly Combat

Teams of five students will compete, showcasing their skills and knowledge in math, history, English, sciences and social sciences, in the sixth annual ASGCC Academic Decathlon on May 11.

The winning team will be awarded a scholarship prize, the amount of which is yet to be determined.

Students interested in participating in the decathlon must register by filling out a form that can be obtained in SC 201 and submitting it to student government president Suzanna Sargsyan in SC 211 by today at 4 p.m.

Students must form teams of five. ASGCC offers help to all those who want to participate, but do not have the required number of teammates.

“I’m hoping that we’ll get a lot of teams. The decathlon will be very interesting if there are a good number of [them],” Sargsyan said.

At least one member of each team must attend a mandatory orientation on May 9 in SC 208.

According to Sargsyan, what is great about the decathlon is that it engages different parts of the campus community as faculty members write the questions, student groups help recruit participants and the student government administers the event.

The decathlon will take place in Kreider Hall. It is a one-day event divided into three or four rounds.

“It brings out some team spirit, school spirit. It’s a fun environment if prepared and done well,” says Tzoler Oukayan, student activities coordinator.

Students will be asked multiple choice or fill-in-the-blank questions put together by faculty.

An automated scoring, timing and point system similar to the one in the television quiz show “Jeopardy!” will be used for the decathlon.

A panel of two or three judges — members of the ASGCC Academic Decathlon Committee — may be appointed to resolve any scoring disputes, Oukayan said.

All students are encouraged to participate in this event. “It’s a good balance of fun and education,” Sargsyan said.

For more information on the decathlon, contact Sargsyan at (818) 240-1000, ext. 5061.

Tatevik Manucharyan
Tatevik Manucharyan, Staff Writer
Tatevik Manucharyan has always had a passion for writing. However, she started considering journalism as her future career only recently after realizing that it is a perfect combination of her  favorite activities - travel, meeting people and having new experiences on a daily basis.