Weapons, Cocaine and Priors Included in Police Dockets

Newly appointed Police Chief Gary Montecuollo had his hands full with a number of crimes that occurred on and around campus during the first month of the fall semester.

On Aug. 29, the campus police pulled over a female student driving a white vehicle. She failed to obey the posted sign on Verdugo Road, which prohibits left and U-turns between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. Once police obtained the driver’s information, they had discovered that she had a $30,000-warrant for her arrest from the Arcadia police department and that her license had been revoked.

As a result, her car was towed and she was transported to the Arcadia police station where she was booked.

The following night at 9:17 p.m., police spotted a man who was lying back in his car in the Civic Auditorium parking lot.

The investigating officers noticed that the man tried to put something away between his center console as they approached the vehicle. When they asked the man to reveal the hidden object, he handed over a small pipe, which he then admitted he used it to smoke cocaine.

The officers called for Sgt. Samir Abou-Rass and the Glendale city police. While waiting for Abou-Rass to report, the police searched the car and found two guns under the front passenger seat. They also found loaded ammunition magazines.

The driver said he was holding it for his friend who had been involved in a fight the previous week and did not want the authorities to find the guns at his house.

Abou-Rass and Glendale police reported that when they drove to the man’s house to look for any other weapons, none were found. The suspect was transported to Glendale City Jail, where he was searched, booked and confined. He was charged with possession of cocaine and paraphernalia.

In parking lots 33 and 34 there have been numerous break-ins. Items being stolen are primarily parking permits and other items that had value like iPods, wallets, designer handbags and cell phones. Campus police recommend securing valuables in the car or not leaving there at all.

Up-to-date plates are required by law and the campus police are enforcing the vehicle code. Police warn students that if they do not have a license and/or proof of current registration, they will be cited and their car will be towed. This has been enforced at least five times since the beginning of the semester.

On campus, police will continue to enforce smoking policy and littering of cigarette butts, which carry a steep fine. Smoke only in the designated areas and dispose of cigarette butts in ashtrays. Police also want the graffiti found in the elevators and parking structure to stop. If students are caught vandalizing the campus, they will be cited.

Alex Gonzalez
Alex Gonzalez, Staff Reporter
This is my second semester at El Vaq. I have a vast knowledge of the sporting world, my goal is to be at ESPN some day or a big newspaper like the LA Times or the Pasadena Star News.