Fall Scholarship Deadline Approaches

Students at GCC may benefit from the biggest scholarship program in the state, according to Susan Borquez-Dougherty, head of the Glendale Community College scholarship program.

“We are assisting students financially so that they can continue their education,” she said.

The requirements are simple and straightforward. Students who have completed 12 units and have a GPA of 2.5 are eligible to apply. Scholarships are available for both transfer students as well as for continuing students.

She explained that once a student is ready to transfer, they may take the money they are awarded. When the program first began there were more than 500 applicants for the numerous and various scholarships, and last year the number doubled to over 1,000 applicants.

“It’s important to apply now because the deadline for fall is Oct. 15, and by then you must submit your application and ask a teacher and counselor to write you a recommendation which is all done online,” stressed Borquez-Dougherty. “If [students] miss this deadline they can apply for spring, which has more scholarship opportunities.”

This straightforward application can be completed online at www.glendale.edu/scholarships.

Participating in school programs, such as being part of a club or ASB, greatly improve a student’s chances of receiving a scholarship.

You are required also to write a personal essay in which you discuss your financial hardships and why you need a scholarship. Include your major and why you chose that specific major and how you can help others with your career choice.

You are limited to 1,000 characters (not words) for the recommendation, in which you must include spaces and punctuation.

Scholarship recipients will be chosen at the end of the fall and spring semester. If you are awarded a scholarship, letters will be mailed during the winter and summer sessions. You will not be notified if you did not receive one.

For any questions email Borquez-Dougherty at [email protected].

Fall Scholarship Deadline Approaches