College Lends Support to Bike Month Activities

Celebrating all things bicycle related, the city of Glendale and the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition are hosting various activities throughout the city through the end of the month.

Thursday from 6 to 9 a.m. is Bike to Work Day. There are five pit stop locations that will supply snacks, drinks and offer the chance to enter a raffle to win prizes. The locations are: Montrose Bike Shop at 2501 Honolulu Ave., The Bicycle Mart at 1601 S. Brand Blvd., Glendale City Hall at 613 E. Broadway, Bette Davis Park at the intersection of Sonora Avenue, Victory Boulevard and Riverside Drive, and The Glendale Transportation Management Associates at 400 N. Brand Blvd.

Cyclists can also ride the Metro bus for free on Bike to Work Day. For more information visit www.metro.net/biketowork
On Saturday take a historic ride through the “Historic Parks of Glendale.”

Individuals meet at Chess Park on 227 N. Brand Blvd. at 9 a.m. where members of the Glendale Historical Society will lead cyclists on a 12 mile ride.

Helmets are mandatory and rain cancels the event. RSVP to [email protected] if attending. Free parking is available in the Orange Street Parking Structure at 222 N. Orange St.

Monday’s event consists of a screening of the movie “Klunkerz” with director Billy Savage at the Glendale Central Library Auditorium, 222 E. Harvard St. starting at 7 p.m.

The film is about the chronicles of mountain bikes and how they were invented. It takes place in the late 1960s and early 1970s where a bunch of hippie cyclists reinvent the wheel in order to make it easier going down mountains. By doing this the group lead the way in history, giving birth to an Olympic sport.

On Tuesday “The Goonies,” directed by Richard Donner, will be showing at the Central Library starting at 2 p.m.

The movie is about a group of seven friends who explore their town on bicycles and find themselves underground as they search for the secrets to the treasure of the pirate, One-Eyed Willie.

Events conclude May 26 with a lecture at the Central Library by Charlie Gandy on the topic “Making Long Beach Bike-Friendly and What It Means for Glendale” at 7 p.m.

Gandy is a nationally recognized leader and innovator in the livable community movement.

A statement made three years ago by the Long Beach City Council to become the “most bike-friendly city in America” encouraged Gandy to leave Austin, Texas to work on that project as Mobility Coordinator for the City, and has been a political activist on the livable communities agenda professionally since 1990.

The library has personal listening devices available for assisted hearing. Bike racks are available at the front of the library with parking validated in the lot across Harvard Street for three hours.

For more details visit http://la-bike.org/glendale/bikemonth.