Leadership Class Solicits Donations for Food Bank

Frankie Strong is leading a campus food drive to help replenish the supplies of the Glendale Salvation Army, whose food reserves were depleted over the holidays.

The Salvation Army is in need of food items such as canned fruits and vegetables, tuna, spaghetti, rice and cereal. It is also asking for dried beans and canned soups. Only non-perishable items are requested.
In addition it urgently needs personal care products including diapers, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo and feminine hygiene products.

“Every little bit makes a difference,” Strong said.

The idea for the drive came about as a community service project chosen by Strong and other members of the current class participating in the Leadership Glendale Program.

The program is sponsored by the Glendale Chamber of Commerce, with financial support from a number of local business organizations.

According to the Leadership Glendale information flyer, “Each class is responsible for researching and selecting its own project – an opportunity for participants to work together and contribute a tangible product or service that benefits the community.”

By participating in community service projects, members of the program are supposed to develop skills and learn how to interact with an array of community leaders, as well as become aware of issues relevant to the community.

The Salvation Army of Glendale offers a variety of helpful services. In particular, it provides assistance to low-income residents and others in financial need.

“The best part is that the money and the food will go to needy Glendale families,” said Strong.

According to Rick White, director of social services and volunteer coordinator for the Salvation Army in Glendale, “Whether it’s food or money, we try to stretch our donations to help as many people as we possibly can.

“We continue to see more people at our food pantry than we ever have. ?In the last six months, we have helped 32 percent more people than during the same period of time last year.”

The facility, which is located at the corner of Windsor Road and Central Avenue, also serves as a “safe place” for runaway youth, individuals with drug and alcohol problems.

“It’s a hard time for all non-profits,” said White. “Many of our usual donors are afraid of the future and holding on to what they have. Overall, our monetary donations are down some from last year. ?Our income is very close to our expenses. There is no margin in our current budget.”

The campaign is also seeking monetary donations to support Salvation Army programs.
The goal is to raise more than $1,000. The drive will be continuing until the first week of May.

The tax-deductible gift should be made payable to Leadership Foundation of Glendale and sent to Glendale Community College, Governance Office AD 249, Attn: Frankie Strong. Donors are asked to write Salvation Army in the memo portion of the check.

All donations of food and other items should be brought to Room AD 249 at the GCC campus or to SR224 at the Garfield campus.