Teacher Assault Update: Markosyan Gets Probation

Grayr Markosyan, 25, the former GCC student who attacked an English teacher on the first day of the spring semester changed his not guilty plea to a no-contest plea on July 15.

With the court accepting the no contest plea as a guilty plea, Markosyan was sentenced to a three-year summary probation in which he must obey all laws and orders of the court. Markosyan was also ordered to attend six months of anger management counseling program and to complete 60 days of Cal Trans work or graffiti removal.

Markosyan first plead not guilty to PC 243.6 Battery against a school employee, a misdemeanor, on March 20

On Feb. 19, two students who had heard the teacher’s screams for help around 6:40 a.m. stepped out of their classroom and followed Markosyan to parking lot 34 to try and talk him into turning himself in.

“You wouldn’t understand, I was abused and picked on,” Markosyan said to the students, who got his license plate number, called the police, and later identified Markosyan through GCC’s ID database as the person who was seen leaving the library building.

On Feb. 20 Markosyan was arrested and detained until Feb. 21 in the Glendale police department when he was released on his own recognizance.

The three-year restraining order served on Markosyan on March 12 mandates him staying at least 100 yards away from the English teacher and restrains him from having any contact with her.

Markosyan returns on August 27 for a restitution hearing concerning the $100 payment to the court and a progress report on enrollment in anger management classes and a Cal Trans work detail.