Graduate Class of 2008 Presented by President Levy

Hundreds stood with smiles on their faces last Friday, waiting to get a look at the class of 2008 as the procession of graduates headed onto Sartoris field.

“Pomp and Circumstance,” the traditional graduation song, played as friends, family, and significant others approached the front of the bleachers to take pictures of the graduates wearing their burgundy caps and gowns, under the bright 5 p.m. sun.

“This commencement ceremony represents the culmination of years of hard work and dedication,” said Assemblymember Anthony Portantino, 44th District, who gave the commencement address.

Portantino mentioned that it was a day to reflect on the past and recognize the struggles that each graduate had to overcome to successfully accomplish his or her academic goals.

Many students worked part-time or full-time jobs, others had to raise a family, and all had sacrificed sleep and time with loved ones.

Stella Adamyan, 30, is a business office technology graduate who raised her 13-year-old son Gevorg Nersisyan and her 10-year-old daughter, Anahit Nersisyan, as she worked toward her goal.

Both Gevorg and Anahit said they were happy their mom was graduating.

“I hope she’ll get a good job,” said Gevorg.
Roza Mirzakhanyan, Adamyan’s mother describes her as “nice, intelligent, and polite.it’s hard to find people like her.”

Anjelica Mucci, 19, who earned her associate’s degree in nutrition, will be transferring to San Diego State to work on being a registered dietician, “I’m ready to move on.”

There were, overall this year, 606 associate of arts degrees and 215 associate of science degrees earned, which is 100 more than last year. Seven hundred certificates were awarded and 108 nurses graduated.

Christine Yuson, 23, and Celine Angeles, 23, were two of the nursing graduates who decorated their caps with the letters RN.

“It’s a tradition for the nurses to be recognized among the other graduates,” said Yuson.

“We’re happy that we’ve made it. The nursing program was very challenging. It’s a good program,” said Yuson.

Both Yuson and Angeles have already found jobs. Yuson will be working at Huntington Memorial in Pasadena and Angeles will be working at Northridge Hospital Medical Center.

Portantino talked about the day as a day where graduates stand at a crossroads of who they were and who they will become.
Yuson and Angeles, former students, are in a transitional period of becoming nurses that will help others and the impact the world around them.

People acknowledged for the support given to graduates were parents, children, friends, and significant others.

“Success is also due to the faculty, instructors, counselors, and librarians, their success is the graduates achievements.dedicated employees are the heart and soul of the college,” said President Audre Levy.

Among the faculty recognized was Charles Eastman, who won the Exceptional Adjunct Award for distinguished contributions in his field. He has been with the college for more than 10 years.

It was said that Eastman cares about students and makes them do their best.
Eric Johnston, professor of anthropology, who is known for the extra time he spends with students and who would stay after class to offer his help won the Distinguished Faculty Award.

The William L. Parker Award was given to Lynn Pomeroy, professor of mathematics for her long service to Glendale College.
With the help of instructors that often offer their time to help, 142 hardworking students graduated with honors, with a GPA of 3.5 or higher, it’s been the largest number of students in GCC history to graduate with academic honors.

Twenty two percent of graduates plan on transferring to the UC system, 34 percent plan on transferring to a Cal State, 8 percent plan to transfer to a private school, and 29 percent plan on entering the work force.

To the graduates of 2008, Glendale College has been their gateway to the future.
The graduates “looked at obstacles ahead and figured out how to keep at it until they successfully climbed over them,’ said Portantino.