Armenian Culture Day Benefits Sister School

The delicious aroma of tabule, hummus and Armenian barbecue took over Plaza Vaquero on May 15 when, the Armenian Student Association (A.S.A.) presented Armenian Culture Day from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.
Students and others gathered around as members of the ASA lined up many booths, with a variety of displays of Armenian culture.

Many people stopped by to take a look at the educational posters, but an even bigger number purchased the plates of food, which cost $8.

There was a booth picturing the kings that ruled throughout Armenian history. There also were a few posters informing students who passed by about the history of Armenian Christianity, and of Armenian literature.

The poster included some of the works of writers Hovhanne Shiraz (“There We Were”), and Hovhanne Toumanian (“My Song”).

One booth displayed many Armenian artifacts, including musical instruments and brief descriptions of each artifact. Many of the pieces were hand crafted from wood.

“[The association] welcomes many,” and “it is a great club to join, and a great way to meet new people who share similar interests,” said executive adviser Lauren Shenian, 18, biology major.

ASA member Anahit Isayan, 18, said, “the club is only $5 to join, and there is a lot of fund-raising involved, we have culture day as well as our car wash in which we raise money for our sister school in Armenia.”

Many students came out to show support for the ASA which made it a great success. Students also enjoyed a satisfying lunch, while checking out the many booths and cultural displays.

ASA meets every Thursday from noon until 1 p.m. in LB220.