JANE POJAWA
El Vaquero Editor in Chief" />

Student Killed in Traffic Accident

Oscar Torres, an 18-year-old freshman at the college, died Thanksgiving Day after being struck by a hit-and-run driver on Nov. 19 near the corner of Columbus Avenue and Riverdale Drive in Glendale.

One passenger, a 17-year-old friend, remains in critical condition. A vigil site marks the scene of the accident.
Sandi Gibbons, spokesperson for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, said that Andranik Manukovich Atshemyan, 23, has been charged with murder and with leaving the scene of an accident.

Torres’ car was parked when it was hit by the suspect, according to Glendale Police Sgt. Peter Pressnal. Witnesses claimed that Atshemyan, who was not badly injured, fled the scene on foot. He was later arrested while attempting to cross the Canadian border.
Oscar Torres hung on to life for five more days.

At a wake held at Forest Lawn Glendale Sunday, many relatives and friends came to pay respects for Torres, who was remembered for his acts of kindness.

In his MySpace (an online diary) account, Torres said: “I am a freshman in college. I like to hang out with my friends, like to meet people. I am a friendly guy who can get along with almost anyone. I also have a beautiful girlfriend who I love very much.”

His mother, Martha Torres, said “Oscar was the sweetest, most loving child. His heart was filled with love. He was the kind of boy who would do anything for you.”

Torres is survived by his mother and father, Juan, and three brothers.

Student Killed in Traffic Accident