JUDITH GHOUGASSIAN
and ARIN MIK" />

Food Fair Provides Variety of Flavor

There is a saying that the best way to one’s heart is through his or her stomach. This was one of the goals of the cultural food fair held on Nov. 13 by the United Cultural Club (UCC).

Students of Jiwon C. Moore, an advisor to UCC and associate professor of sociology, led the event with the UCC to provide a variety of dishes from their own cultures. For $4, students were able to try a plethora of dishes ranging from pastas to Armenian pizza, to desserts to chow mein and orange chicken. The profits from the sale will provide funds for club members with scholarships, events, and club supplies.

UCC President Arbie Martirosyan was pleased with the outcome of the event.

“Last year was our first year, and we had a great outcome,” said Martirosyan. “If it keeps getting better, we will keep doing it.”
One of the main goals of this event was to educate students about many cultures through food, and it did just that by providing index cards with the recipe, origin, and samples of every food offered.

“It’s a better way to bring the cultures out of all the student population at one time, instead of having each day dedicated to a certain culture,” said student Sevan Gharibian.

The event will hopefully create a sense of unity, a sense of closeness, and a decline in ethnocentrism, said Moore.

Maureen Farious, a sociology student, provided turnovers, which originate from the Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and French cultures, and is eaten during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Sociology student Leah Wood contributed devilled eggs, which originated in Britain in the 19th century. Others provided yogurt and cucumber, which is an Armenian and Persian dish. The raisin rice was contributed by Arpi Nasiri.

Although one of the main goals of this event was to provide students with exposure to other cultures, it also gave them an experience to enjoy one diverse meal. “I think it’s pretty cool the way we can taste everything,” said student Priscilla Williams. “I never got to taste any of this before.”

Moore believes that by eating another culture’s food, student’s acceptance and tolerance will increase. She also hopes by eating such foods, students can spark an interest in other cultures.

The UCC plans to hold the event again in the spring semester, and encourages more students to participate.

Food Fair Provides Variety of Flavor