BONNIE SCHINDLER
El Vaquero Editor in Chief" />

Shop Until You Drop and Raise Funds For YWCA

In an effort to raise money for the local Glendale YWCA, a GCC student has set up a day of shopping to benefit the organization.

Niki Davis, co-chair of the United Womyn’s Council on campus and YWCA board member, has arranged with Macy’s in Pasadena a shopping day Thursday. On that day, shoppers who buy a $10 ticket will receive discounts of 10 to 20 percent on all purchases.

Davis got the idea when she went back to her hometown. “I went to visit my family back east and I noticed that the city of Philadelphia recognized both National Domestic Violence Month and Breast Cancer Awareness Month by lighting up the city in pink,” Davis said. “I thought we can top that…we can shop `til we drop in Pasadena!”

The money from the purchased ticket will be donated to the YWCA.

The YWCA, whose mission statement is “to empower women and girls and to eliminate racism,” is an organization that helps the women, children and their families.

“All of the money we raise goes to support our (YWCA) domestic violence project and our breast and cervical cancer screening program, EncorePlus,” Davis said. The tickets for the event will not only benefit the YWCA, but may also benefit the purchaser of the ticket.

Davis said that whoever buys a ticket is entered into a contest for a prize of a $1,000 shopping spree.

“Who knew that going to buy a new pair of shoes, on sale, could help an abused woman find the shelter she and her kids need,” Davis said. “Or hunting for the best espresso machine could allow one more woman on a fixed income to get her annual mammogram.”

The tickets can be purchased through Davis via cell phone at (323) 972-8868.

For more information on the tickets or
the Glendale chapter of the YWCA, go to the Web site at www.glendaleywca.org.