TEX WELLS

Field Re-Elected to Board

Mona Field, GCC social science professor, has been re-elected to office No. 3 of Los Angeles College Community District Board of Trustees with 64 percent of the vote.

Field took 102,624 votes, compared with her opponent’s 56,914 votes.
Field, endorsed by a Los Angeles Times editorial as a “capable incumbent.”

“I am relieved and thrilled to be re-elected,” said Field. “I want to work closely with employees and students to figure out how to manage our scarce resources. I will continue working to get our fair share from Sacramento and to keep access and quality for our students. “

A veteran of 20 years on the GCC faculty, Field was initially elected to the Board of Trustees of the 129,000-student district in 1999. She played a tremendous role in the passage of a $1.2 billion bond issue to rebuild and modernize facilities on all nine of the district’s college campuses.
Field, author of the best-selling college textbook “California Government and Politics Today,” has served as president of the Glendale College Guild and vice president of the California Federation of Teachers.

A firm believer in what she calls “social responsibility,” Field has been a leader in the fight for excellence in education all of her professional career.

Field’s endorsements ran the gamut from the Sierra Club to a phalanx of elected officials that was a veritable who’s who in California politics.

Her supporters included Assembly members Jackie Goldberg and Mark Ridley-Thomas, and Mervyn Dymally, the former lieutenant governor.

Standing among Field’s other supporters were Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca, Los Angeles City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo and Los Angeles City Councilman-elect Antonio Villaraigosa.

Field does not plan to run for office next term. “I plan to serve my four-year term and then seek other ways to contribute my skills to making a better California, with education my priority.”

Field Re-Elected to Board