Michelle Ghoukasian

GCC Board Endorses Measure 47

The GCC Board of Trustees has unanimously endorsed Proposition 47, the Kindergarten-University Public Education Facilities Bond Act of 2002 on the Nov. 5 ballot. If passed by voters, the proposition could potentially provide GCC with $10 million.

The $13 billion bond is designed to relieve overcrowding and finance safety repairs and upgrades for California’s educational institutions at all levels.

GCC would directly benefit from the passage of Proposition 47 through the funding of the Allied Health/Aviation Arts Building, which would cost about $12 million.

According to ASGCC President Antonino Patti, ASGCC is trying hard to get a campaign for Proposition 47.
The board on Monday also approved a transfer of $200,000 from the General Fund to the Capital Projects Fund to provide funds for miscellaneous projects approved by the Campus Development Committee.
There are 21 projects identified by the Committee as of this date. The $200,000 transfer is insufficient to fund all projects, so the CDC must prioritize the approved projects for funding.

This transfer is also necessary to provide funds in the amount of $1 million for cash flow needed in the Math/Science Center and South Gym projects. These funds will be repaid once proceeds from the General Obligation Bond (Measure G) are received.

“The South Gym remodeling project is scheduled to be completed the first week of November,” said Larry Serot, vice president of administrative services. “Faculty will be back in their offices and the fitness center will be up and running.”

However, according to Serot, the gym will be disrupted at some point to install air conditioning, which was not part of the project.

This transfer is also necessary to provide the required matching funds for the Scheduled Maintenance Program. This $250,000 transfer will fund the following projects: installing elevator recall controls, repairing auditorium electrical panels, replacing gym HVAC, installing backup generators and replacing exterior lighting in San Fernando complex.

GCC Board Endorses Measure 47