Talynn Soghomonians

Shuttle Service Offers GCC Students a Free Ride

In its second year of rotation, the Park and Shuttle Service at GCC continues to present students with free transportation, nearly doubling in its attendance of riders.

The two year long program has proved to be effective due to the growing parking situation caused by the increased student population at GCC.

While parking normally calms down after the first few weeks of fall session, the shuttle guarantees a student a ride to the school from their parking spots.

The off-site parking structure is located one-half block north of the 134 Freeway at 701 Brand Blvd. A shuttle leaves the parking structure every half hour. The first shuttle leaves at 7:30 a.m. and arrives at the campus in about 25 minutes.

The shuttle is available to every student regardless of wheteher the student has received a free shuttle permit or not. Two shuttles run alternatively throughout the week.

The shuttle service started its fall schedule on Sept. 5 and will end its six-week service on Oct. 10. However, this date may be extended if the parking situation continues to prove difficult for students, according to Kobaissi.

“The shuttle is affordable,” said Armi Aspiras. “It’s accommodating for students who don’t want to deal with the stress of finding parking.”

Students can receive a free shuttle permit by signing up at the GCC police station in SM 153.
While students are asked to park at the off-site parking facility during the first six weeks of school, the permit can later be exchanged for a regular parking permit purchased at half price. The regular parking permit allows students to park at Lot B, Civic Structure, Lots 30, 31, 32, 33 and 34.

Last year, the shuttle served 10 riders a day, according to GCC Police Specialist Nidal Kobaissi. This year’s opening numbers have risen to 25 riders a day.

The last shuttle leaves campus at 3:45 p.m.