Michelle Ghoukasian

Summer Enrollment Numbers Increase

This summer’s enrollment at Glendale Community College increased by 22 percent over summer of 2001 primarily because of changes made in the academic calendar.

According to Sharon Combs, dean of admissions and records, the newly added winter intersession, which compressed the calendar of 18 weeks to 16 weeks, attracted many students and as they adapted to this new, schedule, they decided to stay for the summer sessions.

Also for the first time GCC offered a P.E. program for high school students, which enrolled 1,400 students.
For the two five-week summer sessions this year about 9,100 students enrolled, while only about 7,400 were enrolled in the summer of 2001. These numbers have been continually increasing since 1995. There were about 4,050 students enrolled in 1995; 5,800 in 1998; and 6,700 in 2000.

“The numbers went up because more students were interested in doing things at a faster rate,” says Combs. “They like things to move along.”

There was also an increase in credit courses offered. This summer 464 credit courses were offered, compared to last year’s 452, said Combs. Math 201, a class that would not regularly be offered in the summer because of its rigorous course outline, was offered as a 10-week class. This class began on the first day of the first summer session and ended on the last day of the second summer session.

Some chemistry classes were also offered as six-week classes, because the instructors felt the courses that include lab and lecture could not be completed in five weeks. Classes such as chemistry allowed students to carry through with a better understanding of the course.

“We are not looking to enroll more students, because the state does not have extra money to pay,” said Dr. John Davitt, superintendent and president of the college. “However we are doing our best to offer students as many programs as we can.”

“Enrollment has also increased because more classes are being offered,” said Davitt. “There are so many students who need college work and now there are so many opportunities available to take courses.”

The two summer sessions have proven popular among students at GCC, however due to financial cuts, administrators are unable to promise the two sessions for next summer, but talks are still underway. Students have voiced their concerns and according to Combs, those concerns are being taken into consideration.

“The dates for summer 2003 have not been decided yet,” said Combs. “Next summer is still up in the air and negotiations of having two sessions are still being discussed.”

Summer Enrollment Numbers Increase