Eileen Rasnake

Gift of Reading; ALAS Contributes 63 Books to the Library’s Collection

The Association of Latin American Studies (ALAS) and ethnic studies department donated more than $900 worth of books to the Glendale Community College library during the reception held May 16.

Proceeds from the Pe§a 2001 event last December were used to purchase these books, according to Professor Carlos Ugalde, adviser for ALAS.

Ugalde, along with ALAS members, presented 63 newly purchased books of Latin American and Latino studies for the library collection to Ruth Thompson Mckernan, dean of library and learning resources. The reception was held in the library’s conference room; about 25 people attended the event.

ALAS members chose books that correlated with Latin American Studies and also recently published books so that the library has a more updated collection, said Ugalde.

“This is the most wonderful gift,” Mckernan said. “These donations will not only benefit current students, but students to follow.”

According to Ugalde, this was the first year that ALAS used proceeds from fund-raising to donate books to the library. “We will continue this tradition in the future,” said Ugalde. “I challenge all my fellow faculty members to follow in our foot steps and donate one book each month to expand the library collection.”

During the reception, the guests were treated to refreshments and snacks and viewed the newest collection of library books. Popular titles include “CHE Guevara: A Revolutionary Life,” a biography about Guevara’s highly controversial life as an Argentine Marxist and guerrilla leader, and “Fidel, My Early Years” an autobiography about Cuban President Fidel Castro.

“These books will help raise consciousness about Latin American studies, and our efforts will help the whole school,” said Marisol Garcia, a member of ALAS.