Tania Chatila

Industry Sees Changes in Program, Environment

The T-1 building will undergo minor construction that will provide two new classrooms and a new larger computer lab, in order to reassess the machining program to better help students with future employment opportunities

According to Larry Serot, vice president of administrative services, the retirement of Tom Sweeney former instructor of machine, has brought upon the talks of development changes in the Industry division at GCC. The industry department includes certificate programs and employment opportunities for students. Paul Dozois, chair division of the department and professor of engineering, has decided along with other administrators that the industry program needs to be reassessed to keep up with the times.
The current Industry program consists of two divisions: engineering and manufacturing. In the past, according to Dozois, the divisions never communicated with each other. Now, the divisions will combine through a Computer Assistant Design and Computer Assistant Machining program that will link engineering and manufacturing together.

According to Dozois, the new program will incorporate a step-by-step process, which includes taking a 3-D idea (formerly the exclusive realm of engineering), developing it into to a model on a computer and eventually manufacturing the part (once the exclusive realm of industry). Thus, the gap between engineering and industry will be bridged.

New, updated equipment will be provided for the reassessment of the Industry program. According to Serot, the college also intends to have the T-1 building, located behind the San Gabriel building, undergo minor construction to attend to the reassessment needs.

A larger computer lab as well as a new classroom will be constructed. The old machine shop will be renovated, and the old computer lab will be turned into a second classroom, said Serot. Along with the classrooms and lab, a new office and storage room will also be created.

Construction will cost about $150,000, said Serot. The project, which is expected to take about one month to complete, and is scheduled to be completed in fall 2002. The Board of Trustees has already approved an architect for the site.

According to Dozois, the future of Industry is rapidly changing, and has thus forced the college to rethink the program’s direction.

“Our goal is to give students a job and supply Industry with a highly trained individual” with marketable skills, said Dozois.

According to Serot, the old manufacturing equipment is expected to be surplused, or auctioned to other colleges can utilize the machinery.