Tania Chatila

Campus Gets Taste of Culture

The college hosted a celebration of Mexican Independence Day Sept. 18 with traditional music and dancers leading the festivities.

Sponsored by ASGCC, the celebration included traditional folk dancers and a mariachi band from the entertainment group, Mariachi Tlaquepaque. Students and faculty alike with their renditions of traditional Mexican songs including “Sabor a Mi” and “La Bamba.”

“We haven’t had the opportunity to perform here before,” said vocalist Monica Loya. “We really enjoyed it though. Everyone has been really great, and the campus is really nice.”

The celebration, which took place during lunch in Plaza Vaquero, included free traditional Mexican food and a tent selling traditional Latin American items. The vendors continued sales throughout the week.

“We wanted folklore dancers and mariachi for the students because it’s traditional,” said Alen Andriassian, staff adviser to the ASGCC. “With the campus being so diverse, it is good for the students to learn about other cultures.”

“I think this was a really good idea,” said freshman Roxana Dawidowski. “It’s really nice to see what a culture is all about.”

According to Andriassian, the campus plans to further their exhibition of cultures on campus through events throughout the year.

Campus Gets Taste of Culture