Roderick Daniels

GCC Student Dies from Head Injury

Max Huber, a student at GCC, died on June 11 from a head injury sustained on June 4.

Huber, 20, arrived at Charley Hinchcliffe’s house on his skateboard around 10:30 p.m., planning to hang out with his friend. But Hinchcliffe turned him away because he had to go to work the next morning. Helmut Reyes, who was just leaving Hinchcliffe’s house offered to give Huber a ride home, but was only able to take him half way because he also had to work in the morning.

Reyes dropped him off at the gas station on Grandview and Kenneth a few blocks away from his home on Grover Avenue. Huber pushed away on his skateboard, and less than halfway there, he fell, and struck his head on the pavement. Huber managed to make it home, but was rushed to the hospital the next morning, where he soon fell into a coma, succumbing to his injuries on June 11.

“I kind of knew he was in trouble when I heard he was in a coma,” Hinchcliffe said. “I felt really bad because he wanted to come over, and I turned him away. If I had given him a ride home he would still be here. He’s ridden a skateboarded hundreds of times; it was just a freak accident.”

Huber was described as a person who loved life, and lived it to the fullest. He loved to show off his talents wherever he could, from break dancing in the quad at Hoover to tae kwon do.

“He was a very intelligent person,” said friend Ed Tabrizi. “You could just tell by his personality what type of person he was. We grew up together, and danced together. I only have good memories of him.”

That however, isn’t how Reyes remembers his friend. In his final days, Huber wasn’t himself according to friend Reyes.

“He was the first person that I’ve known that has died,” Reyes said. “He told me he had a dream that he was going to die, and for about the last year of his life, he pretty much forgot everything about himself.”

Reyes described Huber as completely different than the fun-loving person he was in high school.

“He told me he was alone, that he wished he had more friends,” Reyes said. “It’s tragic because at the funeral there were almost 400 people there, and he thought he had no friends.”

At the funeral, his father, Greg Huber, said that his family was going to donate his heart.

“It’s almost like he is still alive a little,” Reyes said. “The scary part is that two weeks prior to his death he told me he had a dream about having his heart taken out so it could be given away.”

GCC Student Dies from Head Injury