Jennifer Bernardo
El Vaquero Editor-in-Chief" />

Beloved Social Science Instructor, Civic-Minded Glendale Resident Succumbs to Heart Disease

Former GCC Professor of Sociology Mark A. Doyle died July 24 from congestive heart failure at the age of 78. Doyle taught sociology, anthropology and gerontology, and served as a professor in the social science division from 1955 to 1985.

Doyle was a decorated Army veteran who served in World War II, including D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge, said son Matt Doyle. As a Glendale resident, Doyle was very much involved in the community. He served as a Glendale Water & Power commissioner from 1990 to 1996, and was a member of the Glendale Clean and Beautiful Committee. He was also a member of the Glendale Council on Aging. He was instrumental in developing workplace safety for city employees and was taken very seriously by fellow committee members.

“Even up to his last weeks, he was still involved in Glendale Clean and Beautiful,” said son Dennis Doyle, director of the Learning Center and associate professor of reading education.

His funeral service was held on July 28 at Holy Family Church in Glendale. Doyle is survived by his wife, Elizabeth, eight sons, and 16 grandchildren.

The professor Mark A. Doyle Memorial Scholarship has been established in his memory.