Vaquero Views: Students Share How They Wear Their Hair

View gallery

Normal is conforming to a type, standard or regular pattern. People either go with the flow or they create a different path that makes them stand out. A tattoo, a unique style of clothing, or something as simple as hair can stray anyone away from conformity and onto individuality.

Fads come and go, but hair has definitely gone through many phases. Both men and women have fallen under the spell of trying to emulate famous celebrities Edna Akopyan, from Linear Hair at the Glendale Galleria said that both men and women are trying to grow their hair out longer to achieve the rock star look.

“They are asking for a fohawks, shaggy cuts, and messy spiked up hair,” said Akopyan. “Bangs, volume, and texture are becoming popular nowadays for women.” People are dying their hair dark, but she said that this usually happening during the fall season.

However, both men and women have fallen under the spell of trying to emulate famous celebrities. Back in the ’90s, women and young girls all wanted the popular, shoulder length shag, made desirable by Jennifer Aniston’s “Friends” character, Rachel. Then in the 1970s, both men and women preferred the mullet look with “the business up front and a party in the back.”

Today, hair has gone beyond the latest trends because each person wears a different style. There may be a person styling a Rachael somewhere out there, but a bigger development is happening. More people are choosing to fashion their hair in a way that screams out personality and ignores conformity.

On campus, there are a handful of students who proudly present their individuality from vibrant colors to the extraordinary. Students like BAùrd By and Shino “CNO” Hasegawa definitely stand out by owning a style that exemplifies the idea of giving hair a little bit of attitude.

International student, Donato Bragagnolo, has only been on campus for about eight months and plenty of people have seen him strut around campus with rocking deadlocks similar to those of reggae icon, Bob Marley.

“I have started using this hairstyle about five or six years ago,” said Bragagnolo. “I just stopped cutting and brushing [my hair] seven years ago. [I got] too lazy. So when they started to become too knotted and rebelled, I decided not to cut [it] and fix them to ‘rasta.'”

It takes him about two or three days to give his dreadlocks that debonair look. “I fix them with a crochet hook once every two to three months,” he said. “It all depends on how bored I am and how much time there is to kill.”

However, student John Samet took laziness to a different level and favors the hairless look.

“It only takes me about 10 minutes once a week to get it right,” said Samet. “I’ve had this hairstyle my whole life. I describe it [my hairstyle] as boring and easy [and] I guess it reflects who I am. I’m easy going and I don’t like to take a long time [to do things]. I’m not a patient person.”

Although some students do not need a little inspiration in order to make their tresses an exceptional pieces of work. Current Psychology student, Rhahnny Gibbs, modifies the look of hair to new heights. According to Gibbs, his flair for hair just came to out of the blue.

“I started wearing my hair like this since last September. My ‘hodge-podge’ hairstyle just kind of happened,” said Gibbs. “I don’t put anything in my hair but love. It [my hair] doesn’t take long. I just wake up and go.”

The same also goes for Art Design student, Troy Huizenga. “My hair is curly, bright blonde and easy to hide behind, he said. “Nothing really inspired me. I just thought [that] it would be cool to grow my hair long. I’ve always had long hair [and] I plan on growing it even longer.”

Hair is not just for show, it can also show what kind of a personality is projected towards others. Bragagnolo said that his locks reflect the kind of person he is because he is peaceful, quiet, and complicated. “But I’m not as complicated as my hair,” he said.

Shino “CNO” Hasegawa and BAùrd By both have an eccentric taste in style. New GCC student, Jeffery Robison, is acquainted with both students and is accustomed to their terrific tresses.

Hasegawa has bright colors in her hair and is “out of control and crazy” according to Robison. “[Her hair is] fun to look at and [it’s] different,” he said. “She is outgoing and her hair reflects that part of her.” As for By, Robison thought that his hair was “rebellious and scary.” He said that By’s “spiky” hair is unique and it shows that he likes to have fun in his life.

By said that his own hair appears to be a palm tree, but nothing has inspired the locks that he loves. It [his hair] came out of experimenting with it. Enrique Lopez sports a look that definitely catches an eye and it as is nearly impossible to miss Bragagnolo’s “rasta” look.

There are loads of students that flaunt the unconventional ways of taming their tresses. Whether someone is sporting no hair or something wild and crazy, it is just a matter of keeping an eye open and a sharp eye out to see the extraordinary.