Bari Galust – “Kind Coming”

Armenian Culture Day, a tradition at Glendale Community College since 1974

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bari Galust – “Kind Coming”

Patrick Bagumyan, Alex Gevorkian,Celine Voskanian, and Armen Shahinyan performs Armenian traditonal dance.

Belinda Oldrati / Contributing Photographer

James Ojano-Simonsson, Production Manager

The Armenian Student Association (ASA) hosted their annual Armenian Culture Day at GCC on Nov. 20.  The annual event showcased Armenian music, dance, barbeque, and cultural displays.

Serj Arsenian, the president of ASA, organized the event with a team of executives and volunteers from Scholars and Alpha Gamma Sigma, as well as club members. He was especially grateful for Dr. Levon Marashlian, who is ASA’s club advisor, and has spent numerous hours helping in the preservation of the Armenian culture on campus.

The latter explained that even the shifting generation throughout the history of this event, hasn’t impacted the unity of the Armenian people. In fact, it has drawn more foreign interest in the culture.

Even though the attendance was less than expected due to Thanksgiving week, Arsenian said he was satisfied with how the event progressed. “I am thankful and blessed for everyone around me for making this event possible,” he expressed.

GCC students, staff and faculty enjoyed Armenian barbecue while they watched national folk dance in the quad. During the dance show, groups such as Grand Stage Dance, GCC Dance Club and some ASA members performed, showcasing traditional choreography. 

Numerous booths were set up to further display the Armenian heritage. Some featured historical garments and costumes, musical instruments and souvenirs. In addition, posters highlighting the beauty of Armenia were also set up during the event.

Those who were interested in learning more about the history of Armenians, could do so simply by walking through a small gallery of visual banners, which explained where the nation came from, and where it is now.

Throughout the event, and in small booths, one could sense a strong presence of their national tricolor, and pomegranates– Armenia’s national fruit, which is also a widely used symbol in artwork, books and souvenirs.

“The goal with this event was to not only to gather Armenian students, but to invite other students from different cultures to take part,” said Arsenian.

James Ojano-Simonsson is an international student from Sweden, majoring in Film and Marine Biology. He wants to highlight and document environmental issues,...

• Bari Galust – “Kind Coming”

Features

A Primer of How Christmas Came to Be

• Bari Galust – “Kind Coming”

Features

Revive Your Skin in One Week

• Bari Galust – “Kind Coming”

Features

Cheerleading Returns to GCC

• Bari Galust – “Kind Coming”

Features

100-Plus Years of Hard Work and Pride

• Bari Galust – “Kind Coming”

Features

Young Broadcaster Speaks to Glendale Students

• Features

Channeling Your Inner Child

• Bari Galust – “Kind Coming”

Features

A Visit to the Bite Beauty Lip Lab

• Bari Galust – “Kind Coming”

Features

An English Instructor’s Advice

• Bari Galust – “Kind Coming”

Features

Los Angeles Bicycle Friendly Movement

• Features

Bringing Latin Heritage to Pasadena

Bari Galust – “Kind Coming”