Engineering Students’ Bots Clash

Though not quite at the level of Real Steel or Wall-E, some of these robots built by students can serve functions in the medical field or even the Mars Rover mission. Mentors guide students as they build their own robots to compete in matches. Many of these students are the engineers of the future.

Feb. 22 marked the GCC Robotics club’s second year of hosting the VEX Robotics Competition for the middle and high school division. More than 7,300 teams from 25 countries play in 400 tournaments around the world. Every year tmembers face a new challenge.

Mentors guide students as they build their own robot to compete in matches. The club will compete for the first time at the college-level division,

VEX U,  at Anaheim in March.

Student Chandler Brown, 18, came with her team representing J. Serra Catholic High School. Brown described hers as having a 3-joint arm and a hydraulic system to shoot bucky balls into the tubes. Her plan is to study engineering at Purdue University in Indiana.

“It’s a great social experience here, building while having fun,” said Brown

Brown had some advice for newcomers.

“Let every idea bloom. Don’t shut it down,” she said. “ It can actually become something.”

Among another group of students was Cameron Schiller, 14, who came by himself to compete with his robot. He got his funding from his parents, who gave him $2,000 for parts. Schiller described his robot as having a sturdy base, a 6-bar arm-lift that can do everything and a catapult that shoots balls, can hang above the ground, and can pick up both balls. It took him around eight months to complete, using C-based programming encoders on arms to make it easy to know where the arms are. The arm holds and pulls the robot a foot off the ground. His team ,Nrds Roc, will compete in the state competition in March.

Antony Magana, 14, Miraleste Robotics, from Palos Verdes.. Magana has experience with building several robots in three other competitions. He had some advice for building a good robot.

“Develop a creative mind, a large skill-set with building coding, and knowledge of gears,” said Magana.

Finishing in the semifinals, Magana cites playing with Legos as an influence in robot building, since they served as a creative outlet. He found out about the STEM program in sixth grade.

Standing next to Magana was 12-year-old Tanner Johnson, who was on a different team, 7035C, at the same school. Influenced by his woodshop teacher, his ship-builder father and also Legos, Johnson claimed to have done the majority of the building for his team. The student described his robot as having a scoop front that brings up balls big and small, and the arm shoots them.

“It may start out really hard but don’t stop,” he said about building robots. “It was really hard for me but I didn’t give up. I got to the semifinals. Don’t give up.”

Students in the GCC academy are currently working on the Capstone Project, a two-semester team project. They have built a robotic arm and are currently working on a mechanical 3D printer. The program gets its funding from the Title V grant, which will help buy extra parts and an actual competition field at GCC.

Money is also obtained through fundraisers like selling coffee and organizing a movie night.

Vivian Safarian and Tamara Talverdian, 20-year-old co-founders of the Robotics Academy,  started as teacher’s assistants for the summer robotics academy, a two-week program that taught students programming,designing, and building robots.

“It’s cool to see kids who never had experience in the competition build amazing things,” Safarian said.

They both plan on getting a master’s degree, Talverdian in mechanical engineering management, and Safarian in electrical engineering.

After taking courses in engineering, the students revived the club through the assistance of professor Thomas Voden.

Lucas Yepez
Lucas Yepez, Staff Writer
My name is Lucas Yepez. I am majoring in English (creative writing) and am exploring the field of journalism to see if I want to pursue it. After taking Michelle Hofmann’s journalism class, I became determined to write for the paper. Ever since I was a kid, I felt that I had an aptitude for writing. For instance, I managed to get A’s on all my college papers without proofreading. My ideal career would be one where I could make a lot of money while also liking my job. This is why I am somewhat uncertain about what I want to do. As a journalist, it is my goal to entertain others through my writing, in the same way I am entertained reading articles from sites like Cracked.com and the NY Times. Interests of mine include writing lyrics/poetry, guitar, watching movies, science fiction, psychology, and working out. My favorite type of music is alternative, metal, and punk rock. After I get better at guitar, I hope to be in a band. Living a sheltered life in Glendale has made me want to traverse the world, and I intend to do so. Currently, I have earned an AA in Social Science, and am planning to transfer to a school in the fall. I am a tenacious and driven individual, who will stop at nothing to achieve my goals. Because of this, I tend to be a perfectionist. When I wanted to lose 60 pounds and get straight As, I made sure I would study, exercise, and eat healthy on a regular basis, even though it was painful.  
Engineering Students’ Bots Clash