Lego Sculptures On Exhibit at Forest Lawn

LEGO+ART%3A+Casey+Wolfe%2C+a+producer%2C+holds+his+daughter%2C+Emma+Wolfe+up+to+view+the+sculpture+made+entirely+out+of+Lego+blocks+by+Nathan+Sawaya+on+exhibit+at+the+Forest+Lawn+Museum+Friday.+
LEGO ART: Casey Wolfe, a producer, holds his daughter, Emma Wolfe up to view the sculpture made entirely out of Lego blocks by Nathan Sawaya on exhibit at the Forest Lawn Museum Friday.

Lego pieces have been used as the building blocks of imagination for millions of children around the world for decades. However, an artist from New York proves that even children toys can be used to build art.

The Forest Lawn Museum in Glendale debuted a new exhibit Friday called “Art of the Brick” by the New York based artist Nathan Sawaya. Each of his sculptures are made exclusively out of Lego blocks.

Sawaya draws inspiration from everyday life. Even a simple object like a skateboard, baseball bat or even Crayola crayons may become the subject of his art.

Photos By Ksenia Rabinovich

Many of Sawaya’s works are untitled. The artist wants attendees to come up with their own names for his sculptures.

To define his works, if it is art or just a game is difficult in this case. “I leave that to critics and art students,” Sawaya said. “I just have fun, it’s art made out of a toy. Hopefully it inspires kids.”

Lucy Tsai, a 4 years old exhibit visitor said, smiling, “I will go home and try to build my own piece.”

Joan Adan, a museum director explained how the Forest Lawn Museum was able to display the Lego art. “The Senior Vice President of Operations Scott Drolet saw Sawaya at the Tonight show few years ago, and asked if we can get his exhibit for our museum.”

The traveling exhibit came from Utah and is going to North Carolina after it is finished in July.

A human size sculpture takes about 15,000-25,000 pieces and about two to three weeks to build. Sawaya uses the same Lego bricks that are available in the store.

The “Peace” sculpture is made entirely from recycled Lego pieces. It makes the concept of reachable art even more visible. “I use this medium because I enjoy seeing people’s reactions at artwork created from something with which they are familiar,” Sawaya said.

Sawaya’s creations are challenging to transport. So he usually participates in the exhibit installation. All sculptures are bonded with a special glue that Sawaya said is made “from mixing goat milk with elf tears.”

The exhibition is free and open until July 21.

Ksenia Rabinovich
Ksenia Rabinovich, Staff Reporter
Ksenia Rabinovich, born in Russia, is  a journalist and musician who has versatile interests and skills. Since the young age of six years old she began her musical  study, at the same age she entered the School of J.-I. Custo to learn French.  Ksenia wrote for a few Saint- Petersburg magazines called City Collection, de Luxe, Fifth Wheel and a newspaper called Nevskoe Vremia, She also hosted TV show Mix-News. Currently Ksenia performs in two bands called Tainted Throne   and Thirsty Ocean, her own project for which she writes music.  She continues to write as a freelance journalist and wishes to develop her career as a writer in United States. She has a daughter, with whom she lives in Glendale.