Survive Financial Aid

Glendale Community College is hosting a financial survival week to help students better manage their time and money.

“The purpose is to get students to become more financially savvy, so they can manage their financial situations better and they don’t get screwed by the banks,” said Jean Lecuyer, professor of physics and one of the organizers of Financial Survival Week.

This is GCC’s second year hosting this event. The event will be held in SC 212 May 7 to May 9.

The first presentation is Money Smarts. The speaker will be CPA/PFS Co-Founder and Senior Partner Mike Velazquez.

Stuart Perlitsh, who is president of Glendale area school’s federal credit union, will talk about credit, credit cards and banks. Dean of Financial Aid Patricia Hurley will speak after Perlitsh.

The second day presentation is known as the Job Fair. There will be a panel of employers who are going to talk about what they want in student applicants.

After the Job Fair, Denise Leong will present Résumé Writing. Leong works in the career center at GCC as a counselor.

The last day of presentations will include a panel of former students talking about decisions that have affected them and what they wish they had known while they were attending GCC.

“I think a lot of times people don’t really know the specifics about loans,” said Kymberle Stewart, an education major at GCC. “The thing about the loans you get for your education is that they stick with you forever.”

Lecuyer said that when people are not taught about credit, they end up not having any. This way they aren’t able to get loans or borrow any money.

“I have a daughter, and the main thing you want to teach your kid is how to save and be able to understand interest rates and what you’re going to be paying back instead of just what you’re borrowing,” said Stewart.

The event aims to help many students organize their finances, apply for jobs and protect themselves against people who might try to take advantage of them.

Survive Financial Aid