Dodgeball Fan Forms New Club

In a case of life imitating art, Glendale Community College’s newest club recalls memories of a 2004 hit film.

[redacted] took a page out of the comedy, “Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story” (2004). His idea appears to be successful because the Dodgeball Club has more than 50 members so far.

“If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball,” said [redacted], quoting a famous line from the movie.

There are no fees or dues except for fundraising,” [redacted] said. He is planning monthly meetings.

Hard-working students are always looking for a little fun. “I missed playing dodgeball,” [redacted] said.

Dodgeball was first played in Africa more than 200 years ago, but instead of a fun contact sport, it was a deadly game. Rather than the bouncy plastic balls that are used today, players would play with rocks. It was extreme exercise for tribes and was meant to paralyze the competition.

Today, the sport is more for fun, physical exercise and social interaction.

“The dodgeball club sounds pretty interesting and fun,” said Monica Tecson, a club member. “I feel like it’ll let the students unite and get to know each other in a different, cool way.”

The club will plan events through its Facebook group, will practice regularly and have intramural games. The two basic rules are no head or groin shots. To fund the events, [redacted] is planning a tournament every semester between the various clubs on campus. The winning club will get a trophy that will be donated by the dodgeball club.

During club rush, which was held last week, students were able to learn more about the clubs that are offered on campus.

Vazgen Stepanosyan was checking out groups to join when he overheard students talking about the dodgeball club. “I think it’s kind of pointless,” said Stepanosyan.

But [redacted] disagrees. He thinks it’s a good way to build a community.

“He’s really passionate about it,” said Marian Mosinyan, a club member. “I think it’s going to head in a good direction, because if you don’t have a cabinet that’s excited about something, it’s not going to go well. I think the people who join can expect a lot.”

For more information contact [redacted] at [email protected]

Editor’s Note: A source in the story asked for a redaction of their name. In an attempt to support the write of the piece, we only omitted the source’s name. We apologize for the inconvenience when reading the article. To be clear, El Vaquero is under no obligation to remove names of sources and writers from previous stories, but as we serve a college institution, we consider requests on a case-by-case basis.