Students Weigh Various Transfer Options

Kristine Tuzon, El Vaquero Staff Writer

As students prepare their transfer educational plans, many choose to obtain an associate’s degree as part of their goals.

One way students are fulfilling their associate and transfer units is by taking the associate transfer degree requirements. Glendale offers associate transfer degrees in communications studies, mathematics and sociology. It satisfies the 60 transferable units to a Cal State, but the degrees are not always suited for all students.

Academic counselor Troy Davis said Cal State universities in particular want students to transfer with a completed associate in arts or sciences degree before they begin their major at their campus.

“They [Cal States] give a student a priority of admittance if they have that particular Associate in Arts or Associate in Sciences-transfer degree versus someone that does not.” Davis said.

Transfer counselor Kevin Meza said an associate transfer degree does not guarantee admission to a particular Cal State campus or major; they only give preference.

“I would say it benefits one out of 50 students,” Meza said. “They’ll [Cal States] admit those degrees to the Cal States, because they know a very few students would be able to complete them.”

Mass communications major Alex Sosa, 23, plans on transferring to Cal State Long Beach by obtaining an associate’s of arts transfer degree in communication studies.

“It might help me with the whole process that’s going on with the Cal State university that now students need to get an AA so that they can get priority registration,” Sosa said. “So I thought why not give it a chance and it might help me in the future.”

Although obtaining an associate’s degree can be a part of the educational process, it is not necessary for transfer.

“As of now, I would not necessarily encourage a student to get an AA degree, because the Cal States are not really hammering it yet.” Davis said. “So students can have their 60 units of their transferable work and then just apply.”

Biology major Ethan Moser, 18, said he is following the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum, or IGETC, in order to transfer. He said there is no reason to get an associate degree and will continue to get a bachelor’s degree when he transfers.

Another way students are continuing their educational plans is by following the Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) application that UCs offer. Students with a 3.0 GPA or higher can apply to only one UC and fulfill the TAG requirements for a guaranteed spot to their campus.

As students try to figure out their educational plans, both Davis and Meza encourage students to visit their counselor and career center in order to find out their major and career goals.

Sosa said she has been using the school resources in order to accomplish her transfer aims.

“I have been going to the transfer center at least once every two to three weeks and see my counselor to get my SEP,” Sosa said. “And if I have any questions, I’ll go to the career center to make sure that’s what I want to major on and if not, I’ll ask staff from the school that I know.”

If students would like more information on associate degrees and transfer requirements, visit the transfer and career center in the San Rafael building.