SPARK Club Offering Support to New Students

As a first time student to any college, you may feel lost, confused and lack of support that you may need to succeed in your college endeavors. There is a club and future program that plans to help.

The Students Providing Assistance Resources and Knowledge club provides newcomers what they did not receive by simply enrolling in classes as arriving freshmen, that is: some extra aid. The idea that some students need guided assistance paved the way for this new campus club with the intentions of mentoring incoming freshmen.

The big-brother-like program is going to be a year round club and program that will help jumpstart the students involved and assist them with that extra-kick to boost their college performance; that is, if students choose to stick with program and use it to their advantage.

Mentor members will receive the satisfaction of helping others while getting to know new people. Volunteering looks well on a job
or transfer application as well.

Co-president Alex Sosa felt that it was important to keep incoming freshman on task. “It’s going to start next year. It’s a program for upcoming freshmen to help them throughout the year. We want to give them what we didn’t have our first year,” Sosa said.

This program was intended to be an extended version of Shadow Day. Instead of having a one-day guided tour of the school for high schools, Spark Club [members] hopes to keep new students focused by giving advice to those new students who feel lost in the mix of college life throughout the entire academic year.

Albert Galdamez, vice president of the club, is very optimistic about the progress of the spark club and the opportunity it will provide to the individuals who decide to join.

“It’s very tough because we are a brand new club,” said Galdamez. “But I am very happy with the club, I feel like we are picking up a lot of pace. I see this club excelling a lot faster than I expected,” said Galdamez.

This club had a positive effect on members who are involved. Both Galdamez and relations manager Darvill Rodriguez hope to become student body officers this coming fall.

“I felt like when I started in college, no one really helped me. I want that to change. I want other people to have help. [I want the new students to have] Someone that they can ask or they can go to pertaining to the college itself, especially because I have experience already [as a student at GCC],” said Rodriguez.

Although this club targets college freshmen directly, second-year students are more then welcome to join. Simply because sophomores are familiar with their surroundings, doesn’t mean they could not use extra help to get through their college experience.

“We are all really excited about Spark starting: actually starting in the fall. That is when the new students are going to come, and we will be mentoring the first year students. My goal is to make sure that the students that come are not confused and that they stay in college,” said Arman Marukyan, co-president of Spark.

For further information on Spark Club, their meetings are held from 12:30 p.m. to 1 p.m. inside CR 223.