‘Omnicentric Universe’ Merges Art, Technology

Sitting through the creative performance of “The Omnicentric Universe: A Spontaneous Fantasia,” it is possible to realize now more than ever that, as its creator J-Walt Adamczyk puts it, “We are at the center of the universe, we are at the center of it all, and anything is possible.”

Shown this past Saturday at the Glendale Community College Planetarium, this 3-D computer animation spectacular was created right on-the-spot, before your eyes.

Utilizing an electronic drawing tablet to create his masterpieces, Adamczyk uses an A/V mixing board to select the various palettes, colors, scenery, and styles that he has created. He also incorporates a joystick, which he uses to maneuver his imagery throughout the scenery. Adamczyk transports the audience through what seems like a rollercoaster ride from the creation of an atom all the way to the creation of a planet.

“Things that are physically close to you are important, and things are less important when you move away from them,” is how he describes his concept for the shows he has been presenting since 2003. “I wanted to illustrate the journey from large spaces to small, getting more specific along the way,” he states. Each computer he uses is connected to a different projector. The main computer is controlled separately and takes its cues as he draws on the tablet.

As the audience members lean back into their seats, Adamczyk starts his marvelous show, which appears on the planetarium dome. He begins the adventure with a piece called “Rain Dance.” As he draws three stick figures on the tablet, he selects a scene that he has created as a background. He then moves the figures using the joystick. Their dance is accompanied by a musical score which he has selected and has been pre-recorded for the night’s performance.

It truly captivates the audience to see such a wonderful combination of animation, dance, and music performed so skillfully. Since he is creating everything on the spot, the shows differ in small ways. The only thing that stays constant is the music.

Adamczyk’s longest and most impressive piece is “The Omnicentric Universe,” which starts with the creation of atoms and cells and builds towards plants and planets.

Not for a second does Adamczyk lose the audience’s attention, because every show is unique and different from the previous. You never know what to expect. The fast movement with which Adamczyk creates is very much out of this world and he excels at it. It is rewarding to see him looking up at the audience during the middle of a performance, and by the expression on his face, it is clear that what he is creating is appreciated by all in attendance. It truly shows how proud he is of his work.

Adamczyk’s last performance is very rhythmic and upbeat, making some of the audience members even want to dance, especially when he calls for audience participation. As the bright and colorful circles move rhythmically to the beat of the music, the most exciting part of the show is when Adamczyk throws out glow-stick bracelets to the audience.

The entire performance consists of a fun night for all and it definitely ends on a high note. The audience gladly participates in the show after watching the tremendously creative performance put on by J-Walt’s combination of animation, form, and music.

Adamczyk, a Technical Academy Award winner
in March 2006, said, “It is important for people to have fun with the performance, but I want to bring awareness of who we are and what we create. We are at the center of it all, and anything can be possible for us. I also want to get people more into 3-D animation.”

“The Omnicentric Universe: A Spontaneous Fantasia” is a show that must be seen to be believed. Adamczyk creates his magic by working with both hands as he controls and conducts the various movements of a wonderful performance. Once in the planetarium, it is so easy to focus on the show and to forget about everything else, because the show is so attractive and fascinating.

“A Spontaneous Fantasia” will be performed at the GCC Planetarium on Oct. 23, Nov. 26 and 27, and Dec. 10 and 11. Tickets may be purchased at www.brownpapertickets.com for $10 or $15 at the door. Please visit the website www.spontaneousfantasia.com/glendale for more details.