Retrospective for Art Professor Held at Brand

Robert W. Brown was a professor of fine art at Glendale College from 1948 to 1983. In addition he is known as one of Southern California’s most important, creative and prolific artists of the 20th century.

His work will go on display June 27 at Brand Library and Art Center Gallery. The opening reception hours on the 27th are 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.

All the money that is raised during this event will be given to the Associates of Brand Library, a non-profit organization.

“We want people to see them and have them,” said Arlene Vidor, director of special events for associates of Brand Library.

He completed many commissions, his most local one a 52-foot architectural glass panel commissioned by The First Methodist Church in Glendale. He also did a commission for Temple Adat Ari EL in North Hollywood at which he installed 26 windows depicting the 12 tribes of Israel.

When Vidor met Brown in 2008 just before he died it was his wish for the work in his studio to be seen by people. “He was very excited [at the time] about the showing,” said Vidor.

Brown was born July 2, 1917 in San Francisco. He attended CSU San Francisco where he received his bachelor’s degree. He then went on to the California College of Arts and Crafts where he received his master’s in fine arts. He earned a second master’s in fine arts at USC.

Throughout his life he worked as a printmaker and a designer of architectural glass panels. He also had many reproductions in many publications, including the New York Times and Los Angeles Times.

Many of his prints have been exhibited since 1939 in one-man and group showings. They have been displayed in the Los Angeles Printmaking Society, Pasadena Society of Artists, as well as in the International Exchange Exhibition of Prints in Seoul, Korea.

His daughter Jan Reilly also commented on the June exhibit. “He would enjoy for people in the community to see his work,” said Reilly.

Before he retired, Glendale College honored Brown with a retrospective exhibit of 55 of his serigraphs.

The exhibit runs June 27 through July 9. The hours are noon to 8 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, noon to 6 p.m. Wednesday, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

The Brand is at 1601 W. Mountain St. For more information, call Vidor at (818) 500-7675 or the Brand at (818) 548-2051.