Cafeteria Unveils New Menu Items

The Glendale College cafeteria recently revealed its new additions to the food menu in hopes of attracting more students, faculty members and staff.

The new promotions from the campus food services broaden the menu, and included meals for vegetarians and those looking for healthy alternatives.

“We really made sure that nobody was left out and that nobody would find the menu unappealing,” Food Services Manager Nancy Jordan said. “Glendale College has a lot of different ethnicities and it’s important to have something that everyone can like.”

Promotions begin Monday of every week and last until Thursday. Every Monday from now on will be “hamburger or cheeseburger day,” where the prices for burgers are cut by $1. Hamburgers would then only cost $1.95 and cheeseburgers $2.10, not including the price to buy the combo meal.

For students like Desiree Olea, a 21-year-old business major, burgers are the alluring option on the menu, but a problem with the cafeteria in the past has been a lack of options for vegetarians. Christopher Tonchev, a 22-year-old vegetarian and film major agreed, and said that it’s the reason he’s only ordered food on campus twice in the three years he’s been attending. “I would definitely like to see more options in favor of those who don’t eat meat,” Tonchev said.

Luckily for him, Jordan and the food services staff also unveiled new vegetarian selections that include braised cabbage, carrots and baby potatoes each prepared separately. Alongside that are fresh baked Irish soda bread with whipped butter.

For those with bottomless stomachs, the cafeteria now provides a buffet lunch in the faculty lounge every Tuesday for the price of $6.50. The tickets, which must be purchased from the Upstairs Grill cashiers in the second floor of the Sierra Madre building, are presented to the staff lounge and include beverage, salad, an entrée and dessert.

Wednesdays are designated salad days, where the salad bars are reduced to the price of 25 cents per ounce as opposed to the regular 45 cents. “Taco Thursdays” provides a promotion of two tacos for $2; the regular price is $1.95 per taco.

These promotions are expected to ease the students into trying out other foods from the menu. Jonathan Cruz, a 20-year-old Kinesiology major admitted to being close-minded about food at Glendale College. “The other foods just haven’t been appealing to me, but if they were cheaper I would definitely consider trying out the things I haven’t tried yet.”

The food services staff hoped to change that when they created additions to Emma’s Deli, located on the first floor of the Sierra Madre building. Now available is the chicken-pesto panini, a grilled chicken breast with basil pesto and provolone cheese on a four inch ciabatta roll, grilled on a panini press. This includes a beverage of choice for $5.

New items on Emma’s Deli also include a soup and salad for $3.25, and a soup and sandwich for $4.

The upstairs grill is open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. The first floor of the Sierra Madre building holds the Casa Ortega, CJ’s convenience store, Emma’s Deli and the Mediterranean Bar.

Casa Ortega is open 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday to Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Fridays.

CJ’s convenience store is open 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday to Thursday, and 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.

Emma’s Deli serves 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday to Thursday, and 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Fridays.

The Mediterranean Bar is open 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday to Thursday, and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Fridays.

Cafeteria Unveils New Menu Items