Glendale’s 15th Annual Cruise Night

Brand Boulevard was overflowing with people, classic cars, music, and the occasional revving motor or police siren on July 19 during the 15th annual Cruise Night in Glendale.

Slideshow Media Credit: Anita Marto.

Thousands of spectators choked Brand Boulevard, examining over 400 pre-1973 classic cars and trucks that were being shown off at the event. For entertainment, The Surfaris, The Tokens and Herman’s Hermits featuring Peter Noone performed classic hit songs from the 1960s such as “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” and “98.6” at a stage on Wilson Avenue.

The event featured a wide variety of cars, from old trucks and classic sports cars to police vehicles. A majority of the vehicles were from the 1960s, but there were some from as far back as the early 1900s.

The crowd at the event was also varied, with hordes of both young and old people. This year’s Cruise night was estimated to have had the largest crowd the event has seen, with over 40,000 people attending the event.

Other diversions included a rock climbing wall, balloon venders, face painting, and hoola-hoop contests. Most of the restaurants on Brand were also open for the event.

Cruise Night was first held in 1994 on Brand Boulevard, staged to capture the attention of people who were visiting for the 1994 Soccer World Cup. That first event was a success and it has been held ever since, growing larger each year.

“It’s such a big event, it’s the biggest in Southern California this year,” said Terry Richardson, one of the car owners at the event who had come with a 1964 Chevy Malibu, “It’s all a big party.”

“The thing I love about this event is that they close down Brand. I wish they’d do it more,” said attendee Doug Quackenbush.

The event lasted from 5:30 to 10:30 p.m. and stretched from Doran Street to Broadway Avenue.

For more information, visit http://www.ci.glendale.ca.us/CruiseNight2008.asp or call the information hot line at (818) 548-6464.

Glendale’s 15th Annual Cruise Night