Last Minute Halloween Events Are Sure to Satisfy Ghoulish Cravings

Tired of terrorizing your siblings Halloween night? Tired of staying at home and passing out candy to strange, neighborhood children? Running out of eggs and toilet paper? Why not head out and do something different for a change? Here are some things you can do to get into the Halloween spirit.

Tonight:

“Day of the Dead-Olvera Street”
The Day of the Dead celebrations date back to the time of the Aztecs. It is a time of remembrance and socialization. “Day of the Dead-Olvera Street” will feature fun activities for adults and children. Enjoy the strolling mariachi, two parades, face painting and countless other children’s workshops, as well as dance performances by the ballet folklorico. A night candle light procession in memory of those who have gone before will commence at 7 p.m. “Day of the Dead-Olvera Street” runs through Friday at Olvera Street, located at 845 N. Alameda St., Los Angeles. Admission is free. For more information call (213) 625-5045 or visit http://olvera-street.com/html/dia_de_los_muertos.html

“Hex Halloween”
Halloween Hollywood style. Enjoy carnival acts, a vampire circus, go-go dancers and live DJ sets at “Hex Halloween.” The event takes place at the Avalon, located at 1735 Vine St., Hollywood. Ticket prices are $20 general and $25 for VIP. VIP tickets guarantee access to balcony, the private bar and additional entertainment. The event is 21 and over and runs from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. For more information call (323) 462-8900 or visit www.hexhollywood.com

“Hardcore Halloween”
Alien Behavior presents Madame de la Luma’s “Hardcore Halloween” at the California Institute of Abnormal arts (CIA). Enjoy an evening of live music, puppetry and costume contests. The CIA is a multi dimensional arts venue and circus sideshow museum specializing in the best of underground theater and film. The circus sideshow museum features oddities like two-headed babies, the body of a dead clown, circa 1912, the remains of a dead fairy from Cornwall, England, and the arm of Claude De Lorraine as featured in “Ripley’s Believe it or Not.” The CIA is located at 11334 Burbank Blvd., North Hollywood. For more information on “Hardcore Halloween” call (818) 506-6353 or visit www.ciabnormalarts.com

“West Hollywood Halloween Carnival”
Come and experience “the largest Halloween street party in the world.” Halloween night, Santa Monica Boulevard is closed down in West Hollywood and turned over for the “West Hollywood Halloween Carnival” taking place from 6 p.m. to midnight. Come see some of the most electrifying, strangest and gaudiest costumes to dare strut down a public street. There will be live music, a parade and a $1,000 first prize costume contest. West Hollywood on Halloween is not intended for children. Adults are welcomed, but leave your inhibitions at home. For more information call (323) 848-6503 or visit www.weho.org/cf/calendar/

“Fright At The Museum”
Indie 103.1 presents a night of live music, costumes food and drinks at the Natural History Museum, located at 900 Exposition Blvd., Los Angeles. Enjoy sets by the Horrorpops, Gram Rabbit and DJ Paul V. Guests are encouraged to come in costume. The best costumes will get free concert tickets. The stand-by line for “Fright At The Museum” starts at 7 p.m. outside of the museum’s south entrance. Stand-by’s will be admitted if space remains once RSVP list has been admitted.

Friday:

“Dance Macabre”
Malice Dreaming Productions is proud to present “Dance Macabre,” an annual horror themed theatrical dance show, featuring some of the most innovative belly dancers in California. The performances are broken down to 18 vignettes and feature a total of 28 performers. “Dance Macabre” takes place at the Red Dragon, located at 1444 N. Highland Ave., Hollywood. Tickets for the Friday performance are $20 and tickets for Saturday are $25. A full bar will be available and admission is 21 and over. For more information visit www.malicedreaming.com/news.html

“Dia de Los Muertos Music and Art Festival”
Al Borde presents “Dia de Los Muertos Music and Art Festival” at El Gallo Plaza, located at 4545 Cesar E. Chavez Ave., East Los Angeles. Enjoy an evening of live music, art exhibits, beautiful altars and tasty Mexican treats like tamales and pan dulce. The art and altars on display are the works of local artists, colleges and universities as well as some community groups. Musical guests are Very Be Careful. The celebr ation kicks off at 6 p.m. and runs through 10 p.m. Admission is free. For more information visit www.alborde.com

For more information on other Halloween and Day of the Dead events, visit www.alleycatscratch.com.