‘Waiting for Lefty’ to Bring Message From ’30s to GCC

The GCC theatre arts department held open auditions on Sept. 11 and 12 for the upcoming play, “Waiting for Lefty” by Clifford Odets.

“The auditions were pretty fun to watch,” said onlooker Katrina Sanchez, a current sophomore. “I did spot a few good actors.”

Auditions took place in the Auditorium Main stage theatre from 7 to 11 p.m. In order to be cast, there is a requirement for students to be enrolled in at least one unit of the theatre arts workshop class, TA 162.

The setting of the play is New York City during the Great Depression and it is based on a strike of unionized, New York taxi drivers.

Tension between the unionized workers lead to their attempts to strike. Towards the end of the story, this tension and anger comes to a halt when they learn that something unfortunate has happened.

Melissa Randel will be directing the play. Although the setting of the play is in the 1930s, she said that the audience will find much to learn from the characters in the play.

“The emotions of all the characters dealing with their everyday problems are just so passionate,” said Randel.

There were also auditions for non speaking roles. These performers would play the part of Marathon Dancers. These dancers are required to be enrolled in either a costume class or a backstage lab class.

Randel feels that having the rparts of Marathon Dancers added to the play can help symbolize the division of the lower and upper class.

“It is important for our modern society to understand that people like the Marathon Dancers were willing to dance until they dropped from exhaustion to get even a tiny bit of food,” said Randel.

“Waiting for Lefty” is known for having an explicit political message.

Althought this play is didactic, Randel said that the dancers add another dimention to how the message is presented.

“Waiting for Lefty” will open on Oct. 26 and run through Nov. 12. Performances will be Thursday through Saturday at 8 p.m., with Sunday presentations starting at 2 p.m.

For additional information, call (818) 240-1000, ext. 5618.