MARIA SANDOVAL

A Taste of Philadelphia Comes to Glendale

Cheesesteak and pizza has been introduced in Glendale The Philly CheeseSteak and Pizza House tries to bring a taste of these Philly treats, but only accomplishes an imitation of it.

Most steakhouses or pizzeria’s in Philadelphia have a sense of homeyness, a stark contrast to the fancy, glitzy restaurants that most Californians encounter on the streets of Los Angeles. The Philly Cheesesteak and Pizza House in its suburbia location at Adams Square is now the local pizzeria on Chevy Chase Drive. As a result, a patron of this restaurant actually feels that they are in one of Philadelphia’s cheese steak house.

Upon entering the restaurant a putrid smell rises in the air. The distinct odor might be attributed to the fact that the restaurant is compact and the smell is contained to a limited amount of space.

Setting aside the smell factor, the appearance of the restaurant is clean and well maintained.

After being handed the menu, many patrons may feel overwhelmed by the many choices of plates one can order. The different combinations of pizza and cheese steaks can vary from taste to taste depending on the desired choice. It also offers different kinds of Stromboli, chicken steaks, sandwiches, pasta-Italian specialties, hot platters, salads and appetizers. If stuck on what to choose, the best idea is to ask one of the friendly staff for advice.

A particularly interesting thing to do while waiting for food is to observe the pictures and decorations around the restaurant. Pictures include a copy of The Declaration of Independence and the Liberty Bell. There are also Philadelphia license plates adorning the walls of the restaurant.

In addition ,there are pictures of how the restaurant was constructed step by step; everything from the laying of the foundation to what it currently stands today.

After a 10-minute wait food is delivered. The establishment is small with only two tables, so therefore, seating is limited and inconvenient for customers who want to eat in.

Once the pizza has been served and eaten, one can draw conclusions that the pizza is of average taste, a little better than a frozen pizza.

The Philly cheese steak does not live up to what a real Philly cheesesteak tastes like. The ideal cheesesteak has a lot of ingredients including green bell peppers, onions, and the melted cheese.

None of this is included in what I was served at the Philly Cheesesteak and Pizza House. None of these ingredients were served when I ordered a Philly cheesesteak. Instead you receive a hoagie bun with only the rib eye steak. Even though the restaurant gets their meat and hoagie buns shipped from Philly every week for the cheesesteaks the rib eye steak was overall too dry to swallow leaving a desire for something to drink.
Philly Cheesesteak and Pizza House does offer late open hours like a typical Philly steak house. It is convenient for the students at the Glendale Community College Adult Extension Program because it is just a couple blocks away. The prices vary from $8 to $12 for a meal.

The restaurant offers eat-in, pick up or delivery dining. It also offers specials seven days a week including lunch specials. Make sure to bring cash or a credit card plus personal checks will be accepted upon payment.

Overall the restaurant is nothing like a real Philly cheesesteak house or pizzeria because it offers dry steak and salty pizza. A patron goes in there wanting an authentic Philly cheesesteak and you do not get that.

Philly Cheesesteak and Pizza House is located at 1022 E. Chevy Chase Drive, Suite B. It is on the corner of Adams and Chevy Chase.

The phone number is (818) 240-2499. The hours are 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. on Sundays.