TALYNN SOGHOMONIANS

Evanescence’s First Album &#0145Fallen’ Brings ‘Haunted’ Rock Back to Life

If beauty could be defined through music, then Evanescence would be the perfect definition.

The Little Rock, Arkansas based band has unexpectedly, yet welcomingly, snuck into the mainstream back door.

The dark rock quartet consists of vocalist Amy Lee, lead guitarist Ben Moody, guitarist John LeCompt and drummer Rocky Gray.

The first major label album, “Fallen” challenges the common male dominated rock band set up by providing the strong and staggering female vocals of Lee.

The first single, “Bring Me To Life,” featuring guest vocals from 12 Stones front man Paul MCcoy, is definitely the pure and extraordinary sound that Evanescence successfully unlocks.

The deep message is felt throughout the song especially the chorus, “Wake me up inside/ call my name and save me from the dark/ bid my blood to run/ before I come undone/ save me from the nothing I’ve become/ bring me to life.”

The first track begins with an intense beat that ignites the burst of energy that Evanescence creates throughout the album.

In “Going Under,” Lee conveys the message of being abandoned as the result of a shattered love story.

Lee sings, “Now I will tell you what I’ve done for you/ 50 thousand tears I’ve cried/ screaming, deceiving and bleeding for you/ and you still won’t hear me.”

While the detailed lyrics spotlight on a broken heart, the tracks contrast in moods ranging from anger and hostility to tranquility and sadness. Regardless of the loudness, Lee’s pain is felt in her undying tone.

A calmer track, “My Immortal,” expresses, “You used to captivate me/ by your resonating light/ but now I’m bound by the life you left behind/ your face it haunts my once pleasant dreams/ your voice it chased away all the sanity in me.”

The most exceptional use of words to depict images is conveyed in “Imaginary.” The track allows the listener to view a special and hidden part of Lee. The lyrics describe, “In my field of flowers/ and candy clouds of lullaby/ I lie inside myself for hours/ and watch my purple sky fly over me/ swallowed up in the sound of my screaming/ cannot crease for the fear of silent nights/ oh how I long for the deep sleep dreaming.”

Finally, the last track, “Whisper,” presents a more optimistic vibe compared to the previous tracks. Lee sings, “I’m frightened by what I see/ but somehow I know that there’s much more to come/ immobilized by fear/ and soon to be blinded by tears/ I can stop the pain if I will it all away/ don’t turn away/ don’t give into the pain/ don’t try to hide/ through they’re screaming your name/ don’t close your eyes/ God knows what lies behind them/ don’t turn out the light/ never sleep never die.”

Evanescence is an innovate force that has the ability to single – handedly change the course of haunted rock.

It seems that a listener’s constant admiration for this band would not even break the iceberg of their overwhelming talent. “Fallen” is currently in stores.