Talynn Soghomonians

Eminem: Superman or Super-Rude?

Guess who’s back? Lyrical genius Eminem has unveiled his long-awaited comeback album, “The Eminem Show,” which was released Tuesday. Once again stirring up the entertainment scene with his strong lyrics, Eminem has successfully continued to keep his faithful fans as well as the media anticipating his every move, and in this case, every word.

The first single, “Without Me,” not only depicts rap’s downfall and emptiness since his two-year-long absence, but also adds a comical perspective to his hierarchy in the entire music industry. While Eminem has mastered single-handedly the skills of setting the spotlight on himself, this album drags the listener to focus on yet another serious autobiographical adventure.

In this firm tone of “Soldier,” Eminem uncovers how his current image takes a toll on his future, as he states, “Full of controversy until I retire my jersey, till the fire dies and expires at 30, and Lord have mercy on any more of these rappers that verse me, and put a curse on authorities in the face of adversity, I am a soldier.”

The tune about his daughter, “Haile’s Song,” introduces a side of Eminem that is carefully hidden from the cameras. “I watch her grow up with pride. My insecurities eat me alive, but then I see my baby, suddenly I’m not crazy. It all makes sense when I look in her eyes,” tells the joy of the reunion between Eminem and his daughter after a gruesome custody battle.

While the album contains 15 tracks, there are also five skits scattered throughout the compilation. One of these skits, strangely titled “The Kiss,” gives a partly true account of a confrontation between an armed Eminem and club bouncer Guerrera, who was accused of being involved with

Eminem’s ex-wife, Kim. Along with several references to Guerrera, the names of Eminem’s lyrical hit list also include political figures such as President George W. Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, Tipper Gore and entertainers such as Chris Kirkpatrick, Jermaine Dupri, Limp Bizkit, Moby and R. Kelly.

While Eminem’s new album offers its typical rage against the world, the lyrics have definitely transformed into more of an insight to an intellectual Eminem. His rap has steadily kept an influence on adolescent minds and attacked thoughts that would otherwise be politically incorrect to draw attention to. Eminem sarcastically said it best himself:

“Everybody only wants to discuss me. This must mean I’m disgusting, but it’s just me. I’m just obscene.”

Eminem: Superman or Super-Rude?