Jennifer Carno

Radiohead Rocks ?n? Rules with Release of ?I Might Be Wrong?

For those who did not get a chance to catch Radiohead on tour this summer, there is still a chance. And for those who did, it’s time to re-experience that passion. With their latest release “I Might Be Wrong,” they have encapsulated their concerts into an eight-song sampling of live recordings from European shows.

This collection is a real treat. It opens with “The National Anthem,” which mirrors how they begin most of their performances. It then seamlessly glides through the songs “I Might Be Wrong” and “Morning Bell.” “Like Spinning Plates” is the surprise of the album. Unlike the partially backwards electronic version found on their fifth album “Amensiac,” this rendition uses a piano and all of the lyrics can be understood.

“I Might Be Wrong” includes a very different version of “Idioteque” than the studio version found on their fourth album “Kid A.” It has a faster tempo which seems to speed up Thom Yorke’s singing and results in a listening experience that feels rushed rather than relished.

The subtleties of the song are lost. It does, however, provide for an interesting listen and is quite powerful on its own. But, in comparison to the earlier version, it is far colder and angrier.

“Everything in its Right Place” is perfectly placed and explodes. It takes the listener on an exciting journey through the a vocal and musical odyssey which ends by introducing a calming version of “Dollars and Cents.”

However, there is one song that is a not only a new release, but the highlight of the live album. It is “True Love Waits” and it has been circulating on bootlegs for the past three years. For the first time it is available to the mainstream and in excellent quality. The entire composition is five minutes of pure acoustic beauty. It’s sensitive and romantic without being trite or sentimental. It’s the perfect way to end a concert. Some people measure how good a concert is based on how drenched with sweat their T-shirt is by the end of the night. “I Might Be Wrong” is that T-shirt.

“I Might Be Wrong” is must-have for fans who already own “Kid A” and “Amnesiac.” However, for anyone who does not own these albums these live recordings do not serve as a good introduction to Radiohead’s newer sound. Buy the other albums first in order to fully appreciate the experience that this live album has to offer.