TALYNN SOGHOMONIANS

‘Cirque du Soleil’ Among Acts at Faculty/Alumni Dance Performance

The dance department presented a diverse choreographic blend in its annual “Faculty/Alumni Performance” held Dec. 6 through Sunday in the auditorium.

The 18 numbers were led off with a dramatic aerial dance by Pavel Angelov of the “Cirque du Soleil,” who descended onto the stage entwined in a satin rope.

Angelov, who is a cast member of the Cirque’s Las Vegas show “Mystere,” was a guest performer in the dance department show.

Following the “Cirque” theme, Ellenie Galestian and Anasheh Abramiyan provided their own version of the popular acrobatic dance in “Mystery.”

Contemporary music provided the backdrop for numbers including “Call me… Brittany,” “Bathwater” and “Red, Hot, and Cool,” in which student dancers imitated the styles of well-known musical artists like Britney Spears, No Doubt and Jennifer Lopez.

“Human Behavior,” choreographed and performed by faculty member Karyn Klein and guest dancer Elizabeth Nairn, incorporated props such as tables and chairs to convey behaviors through body language.
“Swordances,” incorporated the clashing of swords into a multi-cast production.

The next dance, “Firestarter,” based on a song by the band Prodigy, allowed a more visual representation of fire with the red and black outfits.

“Trickle Trickle,” which was choreographed by faculty member Barbara Kay Erfurt, also offered a visual experience for the audience as the dancers were dressed in plastic overcoats to keep dry on a rainy day.

There were also performances focusing on love and with sexy body movements and song lyrics in “Sexy Love,” choreographed by Takahiro Kameyama, and “Wish I Didn’t Miss You,” choreographed by Jessica Rodriguez.

One of the last performances, “Communion,” choreographed by faculty member Melissa Randel, featured various roles in society and the interaction between them on a day-to-day basis.

These roles included a busy businessman, a self indulged model, a trash collecting homeless woman, a wandering boy and a pregnant woman suffering from labor pains.

While the dance show was free to the public, the dance department accepted donations from the audience.