Talynn Soghomonians

Diverse Themes Move Dancers Around Campus

Students walking to their classes definitely stopped to view the GCC dancers presentation of “Environment Dances,” a variety of performances that were held at different locations around campus on Oct 18.
The Dance 101 and 130 students were separated into groups and were assigned a choreographer that created dances incorporating styles shown in class.

The first dance entitled “Our Garden,” was performed on the lawn next to the SN building. The dance depicted the growth of three flowers that were becoming less active due to the increase in pollution.
Individuals dressed up in running or business attire would throw newspapers onto the flowers. The dance ended with two of the dancers restoring the flowers by cleaning up the thrown newspapers.

The second “Untitled” dance provided African themes as the dancers performed in the parking lot next to the AA building.

“I tried to use the African themes symbolically showing that the dancers were trying to reach the top but couldn’t,” said choreographer Pamela Almeida.

The third “Untitled” dance was a simple concept that became the most humorous of all the performances.
One student dressed in black was escaping from something unknown as he began to hide next to the water fountains by the SN building.

He pretended to be on top of a building, jumping from one rooftop to the next in fear of this unidentifiable object that was chasing him. The performance ended with the individual running past the SF buildings.

The fourth performance called “Gangter’s Paradise,” performed next to the auditorium, was the first to incorporate music with dance as a guitarist was sitting in the middle of the performance. The dance introduced two rival gangs that fought continually throughout the performance as a belly dancer attempted to stop the fighting surrounding her.

The dances were extremely unique since the audience was asked to follow the dancers around campus. It was also unlike traditional GCC dances since all the themes were acted out instead of with music. The students were also responsible for their own costumes or small props that were used during the acts.