TALYNN SOGHOMONIANS

L.A. Celebration of Media Arts Visits GCC

The art gallery invited students to an artist’s reception on Nov. 14 as it presented “Suburban Sites/Insights,” an exhibit that observes works from 15 participants of the eighth annual celebration of Media Arts L.A. Freewaves, which visits GCC through Dec. 13.

The official L.A. Freewaves title, “TV or Not TV” will run in 65 venues, on television, the Web and three video billboards, introducing works from 350 artists worldwide.

The Los Angles-based art exhibit will also run in conjunction with “Chung King Road” galleries in Chinatown. According to the art gallery, “TV or Not TV” is, “a multi-sited exploration of independent video.”

The exhibit includes, “Have You Ever Tried it This Way?,” a 60-minute program of short video works, two video projections and an anonymous artist’s Web site. The artists included, Matilda Aslizadeh, Michael Brodsky, Michelle Beck, Jorge Calvo, David Chalker, Barbara Doser, Jeremy Drummond, Janie Geiser, Todd Gray, Carrie Lincourt, Nino Rodriguez, Susan Silton and Naomi Uman.

Freelance artist Barbara Doser focused on working with video feedback and processed them into documentary and experimental videos and media installations and paintings including video stills. Doser’s artworks have visited over 17 different countries.

The work of photographic and video-based artist Susan Silton explores, “how observations are shaped and distorted by socialization and by media.”

“Due to photographic-based processes, video, installation and offset lithography which collectively challenges viewer’s assumptions about how they perceive.” Silton is a recent grantee of the Cola individual award for 2002-2003.

Students can also get a look into the achievements of each specific artist at the exhibit.

One of the most unique selections, “Portrait of the Artist as a Home Page,” by an anonymous artist has been exhibited in film, video and media works internationally since 1988.

Other venues participating in the festival include Leimert Park, MOCA, Self Help Graphics, and the Gay and Lesbian Center of L.A. Public Library. All of the artworks were chosen from a selected panel of artists, critics and curators that looked at more than 1,000 internationally submitted entries.

“Suburban Sites/Insights” is open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 5 to 8 p.m. and Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Admission is free.