Eileen Rasnake

Student Art Show Pushes the Envelope, Reflects Array of Media

When we think of an art gallery, we instantly picture paintings and perhaps even photos. But the 2002 Student Art Exhibition, which opens Monday in the art gallery, goes beyond the norm, showcasing media that represent all areas of the visual arts department.

According to art professor Robert Kilber, the gallery has hosted the Student Art Exhibition for more than 25 years.

Each art piece in the exhibit, which runs through June 8, is unparalleled in originality and has a story behind it. Edwin Linares, an architect major, entered a three-dimensional chair made from toothpicks and white glue. The piece stood out from the other art pieces because of its detailed structure and its simple materials.

Other students showed their talents through abstruse self-portraits, one-of-a-kind murals, haunting photographs and other engaging artwork. Some pieces are for sale and can be purchased in the art gallery.
According to Annabelle Aylmer, the gallery director, 355 art pieces from students of both beginning and advanced art classes as well as artwork done in the last three semesters from former art students were submitted, though only 62 pieces were selected to be featured in the gallery.

Two jurors were chosen to select the artwork for the gallery: Kat Skraba, a curator and performance artist, and Chris Acuna-Hansen, owner of the AH Gallery in Chinatown.

“As curators, we were looking for pieces that appealed to us,” said Acuna-Hansen. “We looked for strong technical skills, the way each piece was constructed, conceptual skills, ideas that kept us thinking about that particular piece, and also artwork that we could respond to personally.”

The jurors also selected awards for each category including ceramics, drawing, two- and three-dimensional design, painting, photography, digital arts, media arts and sculpture. One special award and two honorable mentions were chosen from each category and will be presented to those students at the exhibition’s reception and awards ceremony on May 21.

The Visual and Performing Arts Division, Associated Students and private donations will fund the reception. GCC’s music department will provide musical entertainment.

The art gallery is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and from 5 to 8 p.m., Monday to Thursday and from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fridays. Admission is free.

Those seeking additional information may log on to www.glendale.edu/artgallery.