Step into the “Unknown”

On Santa Monica Boulevard and Seaward Street, unknown occurrences go on in the dead of night at the Unknown Theater.

The theater presents music, comedy, poetry, performance arts and dance. It hosted a comedy night that showcased a diverse cast of comedians on April 11, with an entrance fee of $10 per person.

The main event featured the Australian, Brendon Burns, an assertive comedian whose act mainly consisted on pointing out the differences between American culture and Australian culture.

Slideshow Media Credit: David Reyes

At one point, he explained how frightened he was by yellow school buses because the only time he sees them is in American movies when they’re about to blow up.

He then went through such topics as god and metaphysics. The 60-seat theater was about half full and Burns garnered hearty laughter and applause from those who attended.

The show lasted about an hour and a half and for the most part, it was really enjoyable. Burns doesn’t hold back the F-word, as he seemingly said it every other sentence. The comedy was intended for people over 17 years of age.

Burns even had “shut the f*ck up cakes” that he would eat when a joke fell flat, then he would retell the joke with his mouth full for comedic effect. Ultimately, the Burns act made for a humorous night and his shouting alone was worth the price of admission.

After the main event, host Josh Adam Meyers presented the house band Lightnin’ Woodcock. The two-man band rocked between sets. The comedians that followed each had 10 to 15 minutes to perform.

The comedians included Brian Whitaker, Byron Bowers, Adam Richmond, Angelo Bowers, Jonathan Brown and Marlon Wayans (“White Chicks,” 2004), among others.

Some of the acts were fun, but most of the comedians were ill prepared and a few of them were reading jokes off of a piece of paper. It seems as if they used the time to practice and test their material for bigger shows.

Common themes among all of the acts included racism, rape and drugs. The jokes were overused and it got to a point where they received cheap laughs.

The $10 was worth the main event and a few extra comics, but don’t go in expecting to die of laughter.

Besides the main stage, there is a bar and a lounge area. The theater is medium-sized and is ominous lit in red lighting. Before the show begins, a giant curtain separates the bar area from the stage seating area.

The ambience of the theater is very cool and mellow. Everyone is friendly and a sense of family is felt as everyone knows each other. After the events, the comedians hang around afterward and talk to the patrons.

Overall, the Unknown Theater is a great place to go to hang out with friends and spend the night. Who knows, you might end up heading there in a yellow school bus.

The next comedy night is on Sunday.

The next main event is “Man Versus Moon” by Dan Oliverio from May 7 to June 26. It is about a poet and playwright who must save a boy from the clutches of the moon. The show begins at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. On Sunday, it begins at 6 p.m.

The Unknown Theater is located on 1110 Seward St., Los Angeles. For more information, visit http://www.unknowntheater.com/publicsite or call (323) 466-7781.

Isiah Reyes
Isiah Reyes, staff reporter
I've been a staff member of El Vaquero since 2008, shifting between writer and photographer. Overall, I’m very laid back and I get the job done.
Step into the “Unknown”