“Community” Reflects Badly on Community College

“Community” is a negative reflection of our very own campus community.

Within the first few minutes of the TV show, “Community,” a student who goes to a community college is insulted. The stereotypes presented by the dean himself are very negative. “Community” is a TV show that is set in Colorado and the name of the college is Greendale Community College. The dean’s speech goes something like this,

“Good morning. Many of you are half-way through your first week here at Greendale and as your dean I thought I would share a few thoughts of wisdom and inspiration. What is community college? Well you’ve heard all kinds of things, you’ve heard it’s loser college for remedial teens, twenty-something drop-outs, middle-aged divorcees, and old people keeping their minds active as they circle the drain of eternity.”

While the show aims for a comedic angle, most community college would probably not want to be categorized in any of the above stereotypes.

But that’s besides the point..are people seeing some similarities?

Going over this again, doesn’t Greendale Community College kind of sound like Glendale Community College?

One of the show’s writers, Dan Harmon has based this show on his experiences at GCC. Harmon told NBC that he and his girlfriend started taking classes in order to keep their minds active and pursue a goal together.

Since the show isn’t auto-biographical this isn’t the case in the pilot. The main character Jeff Winger played by Joel McHale is forced to attend community college by the bar, where he finds himself interested in a girl from his Spanish class by the name of Britta. A classmate informs Jeff that Britta really needs to pass tomorrow’s Spanish quiz, so Jeff creates a study group and lies about knowing Spanish, already disaster can be predicted, and disaster is exactly what happens.

Aside from the negativity thrown at the viewers within the first five minutes of the show, Dan Harmon has promised that this show will be in support of Community Colleges, rather than against them. He told the Daily News,

“…This [community college] is a place where you can do anything and be anything. The flawed characters are coming into it and becoming unflawed by being in this place because it’s been underestimated by the system around it.”

So far four episodes have aired and according to TV.com it’s overall current rating, based on 260 votes, is an average of 7.2 out of 10. The show airs on NBC, at 8 p.m. on Thursday nights. Hopefully in future episodes, there will be more positive light shed on community colleges and the people who attend them.